Drain or Shock mini swamp?

Jun 4, 2010
I really can't decide whether to drain or shock. Intex round 18' x 48" pool. Pool in kept up year round and winterized like a regular above ground pool. Last year water was as clean as could be at opening. This year when I pulled the cover off it was already green. It is about half full and I can see the bottom.

Advantages to draining: Quicker, less work, fairly low water rates and no water restrictions.

Advantages to shocking: Water already has salt and cya in it from last year, it may be cheaper than paying for water, extra salt and extra cya, I hate to waste water.

What should I do?

Since you can see the bottom the shock process would be your best choice. Go ahead and re-fill the pool and get a current set of test results posted and we can give you all the help you need to get through the process.

I decided to shock it. Mid way through the process I was really regretting my decision. It went from green to cloudy quickly, but progress really slowed down after that. There were several days where I couldn't tell any progress at all. If I had it to do over, I would drain it. All is well now and the SWCG is back on again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.