Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Drain or Shock mini swamp?

1. Back To Top    #1

Drain or Shock mini swamp?

I really can't decide whether to drain or shock. Intex round 18' x 48" pool. Pool in kept up year round and winterized like a regular above ground pool. Last year water was as clean as could be at opening. This year when I pulled the cover off it was already green. It is about half full and I can see the bottom.

Advantages to draining: Quicker, less work, fairly low water rates and no water restrictions.

Advantages to shocking: Water already has salt and cya in it from last year, it may be cheaper than paying for water, extra salt and extra cya, I hate to waste water.

What should I do?
    18'x48" Intex metal frame pool, 1600 Intex sand filer/pump combo, Intex SWCG.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Houston, Texas

Re: Drain or Shock mini swamp?

Since you can see the bottom the shock process would be your best choice. Go ahead and re-fill the pool and get a current set of test results posted and we can give you all the help you need to get through the process.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    East Texas

Half full you'll still likely have to add more salt and more CYA depending on testing.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

I decided to shock it. Mid way through the process I was really regretting my decision. It went from green to cloudy quickly, but progress really slowed down after that. There were several days where I couldn't tell any progress at all. If I had it to do over, I would drain it. All is well now and the SWCG is back on again.
    18'x48" Intex metal frame pool, 1600 Intex sand filer/pump combo, Intex SWCG.