Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Too much CYA

1. Back To Top    #1

Too much CYA

I know the pucks have gotten my CYA levels too high. It is around 120. My pool is above ground and holds 10,000 gallons of water. Does anyone know how much I need to drain to get my CYA levels back in check? I'm draining it now and it is down about 8 inches. It is 13.5 x 27 feet. Also, if algae is growing in my pool there can't be enough chlorine to hurt my plants can there? During the warmer months I'll be back to BBB. I only use the pucks in the fall and winter because I don't have time for the pool then. Any help would be most appreciated.
    10,000 gallons Splash Pool; cartridge filter; vinyl; AG; pump Sta-Rite 1 HP

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Too much CYA

Hey,

You need to drain about 60% of your pool. That will get the CYA down around 50 and everything will be very manageable. You won't use enough chlorine to have any effect on your plants.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks! I drained 50% and shocked. My swamp cleared up literally overnight. Now my problem is that I lost my little CYA tube. Do you know how I can get another one? I can't find the "place" I bought my test kit from on here. Haven't been on much since two summers ago and I can't find my way around the site anymore.

4. Back To Top    #4

Just found the link in your signature line Dave! Duh...you'd think I was a blonde or something.