Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: concrete deck sank, cracked skimmer

1. Back To Top    #1

concrete deck sank, cracked skimmer

A corner of the concrete deck surrounding my pool (40x20 in ground vinyl) sank. The sunk portion starts in the middle of the side where the skimmer is, and cracked the skimmer in the upper part. The skimmer does not appear leaking, but the opening in the ground is out of shape, and can not be covered with the square lid. If I were to replace the skimmer, how should it be done? Does the concrete around it have to be hammered open? Is it a big job?

Regarding the sunk deck, I asked a mud jack guy to take a look. He quoted $1k to jack it up. Is this reasonable? How can I be sure it won't sink again? Can I just add on top another layer of cement?

35k; IG 20x40; vinyl; sand filter; Atlanta, GA

2. Back To Top    #2
    East Texas

Re: concrete deck sank, cracked skimmer

I'd look into just doing some grout work around it to level it up if it was me------as long as the skimmer itself is good to go.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: concrete deck sank, cracked skimmer

I would've just left the skimmer alone. But since I am thinking about jacking up the deck, thought maybe just get everything else fixed...
    Anyone know how much it costs to get a skimmer replaced?
    35k; IG 20x40; vinyl; sand filter; Atlanta, GA