Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Decking Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Decking Question

We are debating between slate stamped decking or a salt rock finish. The added cost is $5/sq ft. with 302 of decking and 15 sq ft of side walk tying into our patio. My husband feels the cost is too high. I personally think it's a far price.

My husband is leaning to the salt rock finish but I worry about the salt from the splash out (SWG pool) will get into those divits and break down the concrete even faster than normal.

Anyone have a SWG pool and a salt rock finish decking?
    ____________________________________________________________ ______________________
    In the process of building a Lonestar Fiberglass Pools : Savannah in Caribbean Blue. 13,000 Gallons SWG, 4 therapeutic jets, Pentair 1 HP superflow (348023) pump, 200 Clean & Clear cartridge filter (CCRP-160353), Pentair salt cell IntelliChlor IC40, 3 LED lights, 1 skimmer, cantilever coping with integral light wheat color, and salt-rock pool decking finish.

2. Back To Top    #2

South Central NJ

Re: Decking Question

Concrete is pretty much impervious to salt from a pool and both your decking types are concrete. As for pricing, that is territory specific. You may want to bid that out.

Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

Murfreesboro, TN

I can't speak to the price of stamped concrete. We paid $4/ft for all the concrete above our allowance. A salt coating was less than $1 more per foot. They literally just broadcast rock-salt over the the semi-set concrete and trowel it smooth. This might be one of those cases where you haggle with your builder for a better deal.
    22 x 36 In Ground Vinyl - 23K Gal - Saltwater - Tara Liner
    1hp 2-speed Hayward Super Pump, Hayward 6060 Booster Pump
    Hayward SwimClear C3030 Filter, Hayward 400Btu NG Heater
    Hayward Aqualogic PS-4, Polaris 280 Cleaner, ColorLogic 4.0 LED

4. Back To Top    #4

i have just started planning the remodel of a sunken cracked painted 25 year old concrete pool deck in the northeast and am trying to decide between stamped concrete and pavers and had the following concerns,
    plumbing accessibility (skimmer line collapsed and cant decide if i should replace whole skimmer or just plumbing)
    freeze/cracking of concrete,
    strength of elephant cover if fastened to pavers,
    fading/wear of stamped vs pavers