Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DE and cartridge filter

1. Back To Top    #1

DE and cartridge filter

Wow I can't believe I'll be in the pool soon.Question I have a cartridge filter pro clean I use BBB and the pool is great sanitary and clear 18x36 but if I can make it more clear I would like to.I read some where that you could add DE to a cartridge filter for even smaller particle clean has anyone done this / How would I do better to move up to a 200 sq ft filter just wondering thanks for any response may be able to get in next week end temp near 90 I don't go in under 77 water temp LOL
    GPMIDWAY 18X33 AGP 2HP CARTRIDGE 2 SPEED
    WINSTON SALEM NC

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DE and cartridge filter

Some cartridge filters allow addition of DE and it will ruin some. I'd call the mfg and ask.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

More than any additives, adequate filtration and adequate chlorine will make your pool sparkle.

If you think it can be improved, you should do so by making sure you are balanced with the correct amount of chlorine, CYA, etc and then run your filter longer and clean it more often
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks Dave S I have a Taylor test kit and keep it balanced just heard that DE filtered smaller particulate than a cartridge thanks for the response
    GPMIDWAY 18X33 AGP 2HP CARTRIDGE 2 SPEED
    WINSTON SALEM NC

5. Back To Top    #5

What I found on a search:
    NOTE: Most manufacturers do not recommend that Diatomaceous Earth (DE) be used with cartridge filters. DE particles can easily become trapped in the body of the media, which will shorten cartridge life. If desired, a cellulose fiber (synthetic DE) can be used in moderation as an alternative.
    I wonder if this would work:
    http://www.poolproducts.com/SPP/product ... ly_id=2429
    Intex Ultra 18' x 52" AG 6,981 Gal.
    3 - 2'x20' solar panels
    Hayward XStream 1500 Cart Filter
    Hayward 1-1/2 HP 2-speed Superpump
    Aquabot Pool Rover
    2-Softub 300 hot tubs (yup just got one for the lake)
    TF Test Kit Doing the BBB for 7 years
    Medota Heights,Minnesota

6. Back To Top    #6

I've used synthetic DE, it's cellulose, very happy with the results. You can really tell at night when the pool light is on after you filter with the synthetic DE to the skimmer.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida