Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Inheirited SWG Pool Cleanup Photojournal

1. Back To Top    #1

Inheirited SWG Pool Cleanup Photojournal

Howdy everyone. Like a lot of people, I recently bought a home with a pool, and this will be my first pool. The realtor for the previous owner (who was not in the area) put a tarp cover on it last fall, but did not fill up the pool or put anything under the tarp, so rainwater collected in the center and pulled it into the pool. See exhibit A:

This was the state when I took possession in January. Since it was winter, I simply bought a Meyco mesh cover to replace the tarp and then left it alone until a couple of days ago. Now, it looks like this:

Started pulling out leaves with a leaf rake (net) yesterday. I also tried something called a "leaf eater", which sounded good, but didn't seem to outperform the basic net. There are a LOT of leaves in there... I also have one of these:

But that looks more like something to use when it's mostly clean. Someone please correct me if you think this will help the cleanup process, though.

Other equipment:

(those leaves are all gone now)

I also have a Taylor test kit that I bought after reading the guide to test kits on this site. Today's plan is to remove as many leaves as possible and test the water. I have tested CYA already and it was zero. I did get one BioGuard analysis done but then I read about those being inaccurate, so I'm going to disregard that, I guess.

More as it progresses...
    20,000 gal in-ground w/ vinyl liner; Goldline Aqua Rite SWG; Hayward sand filter; Hayward .75hp pump; 1.5 hp booster pump
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit; AquaCheck Salt Test Strips

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Inheirited SWG Pool Cleanup

You are correct in that that cleaner will do a good job for you.....after the pool is fairly well cleaned up.

I also had a similar experience with the leaf eater and just went back to the leaf rake.

As troublesome as it is, scoop out all the solids you can get using the leaf rake. When you need a break from scooping, and want to prepare for the upcoming Shock Process, read this turning-your-green-swamp-back-into-a-sparkling-oasis-t4147.html?hilit=swamp%20oasis

If you follow that article to a T, your pool will become crystal clear. It will take some time, a lot of chlorine, and some physical work but it can be done.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Leave the pool cleaner until later. It will get bogged down way too quickly if you start using it right away.

Have you verified that the pump works and there aren't any obvious leaks?

As you have already figured out, the first step is to get as much of the debris off the bottom as you possibly can. While you are working on that, you can start stockpiling chlorine and make sure the equipment is at least mostly working.

If you haven't already, take a look at Turning your Green Swamp back into a Sparkling Oasis.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Clean off all the leaves on the pad around the motors and such to allow good heat dissipation. Then get to cleaning !!!!
    16 x 32 Grecian Vinyl. Salt-Aqua Plus PS-4, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter, Hayward Ecostar SP34000vsp, Gulfstream HE-125-T-A Heat/Cool heat Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

These are going to be some good before and afters!
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE Inteliflo VS 2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester

Pool School, Pool Calculator,TFTestKits,

6. Back To Top    #6

The main pump is currently running. We got a fair amount of leaves out today but still have a lot more to go. Forgot to test the water, but will do so tomorrow.

Oh, and forgot to mention pool size: 19x33, with 3' shallow and 6' deep end. Survey says... ~21,000 gallons. Also, I had the sand changed in the filter on Thursday.
    20,000 gal in-ground w/ vinyl liner; Goldline Aqua Rite SWG; Hayward sand filter; Hayward .75hp pump; 1.5 hp booster pump

7. Back To Top    #7

Have read the Green Swamp guide a few times (each time I learn something new). Couple of questions on that:

1) If I start on that tomorrow, and follow it religiously, can it be done in a week's time? I have to leave town for a few days in about a week, so if not, I will wait until I get back.

2) When should I add salt? Wait until after all the algae is dead?

8. Back To Top    #8

The result of this weekend's work. The picture somehow fails to capture the amount of effort that went into those four bags...

Also, any suggestions on how to deal with this?

-R

9. Back To Top    #9

Clearing the pool can take many weeks, but the most important part is at the beginning when you are trying to kill everything ... that is when you need to be test and adding chlorine hourly. Later in the process you usually need to bump the chlorine once per day and just let the filter start clearing the water. You can probably make a pretty good dent in the process before you leave. Before you leave, bump the FC up a bit and then since you have no CYA in the pool, maybe put a few tablets in a floater to try to help maintain some chlorine while you are gone.

I finally just got a fish tank net (less than $1) to use to scoop stuff out of the skimmer ... previously I just tried to use my hand. You just have to keep cleaning out the skimmer basket when ever you can.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Fish tank net -- what a great idea. Seems obvious after you said it, heh. Anyway, I'm fairly certain I have now removed 90+% of the leaves in the pool. No longer able to pull up a net full of leaves no matter where I rake.

So now the plan is to add stabilizer and go on my trip. Hopefully when I get back my CYA levels will be close to what I need and the shocking will begin.

11. Back To Top    #11

Good luck! Looks like a great pool
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

12. Back To Top    #12

Shop vac on the picture you displayed.

13. Back To Top    #13

Back from my trip and have been trying to get the water balanced prior to shocking, but even after adding 5lbs of PH Down (dry acid), my PH still reads 8+ (magenta). Any advice? I'm chomping at the bit to start adding chlorine. Is it critical to get PH to <7.4 before shocking?

14. Back To Top    #14

What is your FC level right now?

Ph reads high when FC is above 10 ppm.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

that return line with all of the ball valves has me lol

16. Back To Top    #16

FC is 0. Have not added any bleach yet. Btw, TA is 80.

17. Back To Top    #17

Keep working at ph and get it into the 7.2-7.5 range first.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

18. Back To Top    #18

Was afraid that would be the answer, heh. Okay, back to Home Depot, then!

19. Back To Top    #19

http://m.flickr.com/photos/17931737@N00/7205821970/

Trying to post this from my phone... Hopefully it works. This is my ph test after adding ~64oz of "Safer" muriatuc acid.

Couldn't get image to work but let's try a link...

20. Back To Top    #20

Didn't get the image RMoss.

By safer, do you mean lower concentration?

If you mean the stuff they call "green" I think it is ~25%.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast