Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: help please with intex sand filter / SWG info and choices

1. Back To Top    #1

help please with intex sand filter / SWG info and choices

I am planning to set up an Intex Ultra Frame 26’ x 52” or a 12’ x 24’. Size and shape to be determined once the tree in the middle of my yard has been removed. Along with this pool I was considering this Intex Sand Filter / SWG set up.

http://www.amazon.com/Intex-56681EG-...5572519&sr=8-4

Is there anyone on here that is familiar with this filter setup? With all that I’ve read, I believe it will be sufficient for filtering. I would also like to know the length of the power cord please. I can plug in on my back porch or in the garage. I have a GFCI outlet on the back porch and/or could conceivably add a GFCI in/on the garage as there is an outlet inside the garage right next to one possible location for the pool.

Thank you for any help.
    Angie M.
    AG, 26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame, vinyl, 14667 gal. And LOVING it!!! Hayward S15922S 1HP, 2SP pump and Hayward S220T Sand Filter. Hard plumbed with PVC, added second return, intex SWG, Hydro Pool widemouth skimmer. Set up in May 2012!
    N.E. Florida. TF100 - Best investment EVER! (Well, for the pool anyway)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: help please with intex sand filter / SWG info and choice

I recommend not getting the combo unit and instead getting the sand filter without SWG and a separate SWG. It is quite likely that you will want to replace either the SWG or the pump/filter well before the other, which is difficult with the combo unit.

For larger size pools there are significant advantages in spending more to get a better pump/filter combo. The Intex will work, but has disadvantages. Still, you can't beat the price on the Intex.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you so much!

I have figured the equipment and prices and pondered and drooled over everyone's pools ever since I found this forum (love it by the way).

It had crossed my mind that I may need to change one component or the other at some point. However, I had not realized it would be an issue. They hook up together by way of hoses so, I had assumed that I could upgrade each part as the need arose and as my pool education expands. By your response above, am I to understand that it is not possible to change out one component at a time? With a better/different brand?

Either way, I may have to go this route for now and just upgrade the whole shebang at a later date as I can save for it.

I'm gettin' a poooool! YAY!
    Angie M.
    AG, 26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame, vinyl, 14667 gal. And LOVING it!!! Hayward S15922S 1HP, 2SP pump and Hayward S220T Sand Filter. Hard plumbed with PVC, added second return, intex SWG, Hydro Pool widemouth skimmer. Set up in May 2012!

4. Back To Top    #4

I was searching again to see if I could find a better set up than the Intex combo as per your recommendation.
    I have found this:

http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-S210T-...hu-rd_add_1_dp

They suggest this package deal.
    Hayward S210T Pro Series 21-Inch Top-Mount Pool Sand Filter
    + Hayward SP1580X15 Power-Flo LX Series 1-1/2-Horsepower Above-Ground Pool Pump with Cord
    + Intermatic P1121 Heavy Duty Above Ground Pool Pump Timer
    Price For All Three: $376.97

This item: Hayward S210T Pro Series 21-Inch Top-Mount Pool Sand Filter Hayward $197.99
    Hayward SP1580X15 Power-Flo LX Series 1-1/2-Horsepower Above-Ground Pool Pump with Cord Hayward $158.00
    Intermatic P1121 Heavy Duty Above Ground Pool Pump Timer by Intermatic $20.98

In your opinion, would I do better to do this, over the intex sand filter/pump, SWG package?

I could add the SWG now or later. Depending on available funds.

Thanks again,
    Angie M.

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm curious about the Hayward combo as well.
    18' X 48" Intex Ultra Frame 6,400 gallons, Jacuzzi 90# Sand Filter, Jacuzzi 1HP Pump