Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA on a hot day - More the better??

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA on a hot day - More the better??

Hey guys, just drained my pool. Going to swim in it for the first time tomorrow!

I dumped a gallon of 10% chlorine in it this morning before work, and here are my test results when I got home tonight:

FC: 4 (QUESTION: The drop-test showed 5-10+ range (color was orange-ish), but FAS/DPD showed 4.5ppm... Is my Taylor test kit I just got with my TF-100 kit bad?)
    pH: 7.8
    T/A: 120
    CYA: 30-40
    Temp: 76 degrees

So, my question is mostly that I live in Tucson, Arizona, where it gets HOT in the summer. Would having a higher CYA be to my benefit?

*My pool is more like 12,000 gallons. I need to fix my sig...
    IGP, concrete and plaster. House was built in 1982, pool appears to have been installed then. 15,000 gallons. Hayward C1200 filter. 1HP pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA on a hot day - More the better??

Higher CYA is good up to a point. As the CYA gets higher you have more trouble if you get algae, but otherwise use less chlorine. In practice CYA at 50 is a good maximum for most people, perhaps 60 if you get an especially large amount of direct sunlight.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok, thanks. Mine gets a lot of morning sun and about half the pool is shaded all afternoon. So ~40 CYA is probably pretty good for me then.

Random question, can I dump the test chemicals back into the pool?
    IGP, concrete and plaster. House was built in 1982, pool appears to have been installed then. 15,000 gallons. Hayward C1200 filter. 1HP pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

That's not recommended. Some of those reagents are not good for you and shouldn't be put in the pool water.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Yeah I suppose that makes sense. I've seen other people throw them back in the pool and I always thought that seemed a little weird... To the ground they go.

6. Back To Top    #6

I live in Tucson myself. (Well, a suburb.) Yeah, with the amount of sunlight we get, a fairly high CYA works well. I keep mine about 40. I have let it go up to about 60, but when you do that, you do have to keep the chlorine up. I find that with staying with the recommended chlorine levels to the CYA levels I have little problems with algae, even during monsoons. In fact, I think the only algae problems I've had is when the chlorine drops a little low. Now, if I could find a way to keep the dust out...
    Above ground soft side Omega pool
    20 feet diameter, 4 feet deep
    Hayward sand filter
    Hayward 1 HP Matrix pump
    Hayward Aquabug Automatic Pool Cleaner