Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Paint Flaking; Do I need to do anything?

1. Back To Top    #1

Paint Flaking; Do I need to do anything?

Like a few previous posters here, I bought a house with a pool, and now, almost two years later, the paint in the pool is beginning to flake off and bubble up. Do I need to do anything about the flaking? So-far, most of the flakes are small, with the largest spots being about a quarter in size. The plaster underneath appears to be fine, although with small spots like that, it's hard to really tell. One problem that I do have is that Algae likes to live under the loose but not yet broken-off parts of paint. However, I think with a bit more aggressive bleach regimen this summer, I can keep that under control.

The aesthetics of the peeling paint don't bother me that much. If I'm happy with the appearance, and can keep the Algae controlled, is there any negative to just letting the paint flake away through the season?
    31'x15' 19k gallon IG plaster/paint pool, 3 HP Intelliflo VF pump, 400 sq-ft DE Filter, 320 sq-ft Solar Panel, 400k BTU NG Heater (Unused)
    450 Gallon Marquis Epic Spa

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Paint Flaking; Do I need to do anything?

If the look doesn't bother you, I suggest getting a wire bristle pool brush to regularly get off as much of the loose paint as you can and live with it for a while.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Paint Flaking; Do I need to do anything?

At what point would I want to consider engaging in a larger rehab job?
    31'x15' 19k gallon IG plaster/paint pool, 3 HP Intelliflo VF pump, 400 sq-ft DE Filter, 320 sq-ft Solar Panel, 400k BTU NG Heater (Unused)
    450 Gallon Marquis Epic Spa