Orientation of Jandy/Pentair Check Valves

jblizzle

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Moderator Emeritus
May 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Is there a preferred orientation for the flapper check valves?

I assume that on vertical pipes with the water flow down is probably not a great idea. But is there much difference between putting them horizontal (lid up obviously) or vertical with water flow up?

What about with the Jandy 90 turn check valves? In a vertical plane with water turning down would would the flapper motion sideways, but seems like they could go on a vertical plane with water flowing up or horizontally with little issue.

Thoughts?

You want them positioned so that gravity will naturally close the flapper in the absence of water flow. Nearly all of them will work in other positions, but you get better long term reliability with the flapper closing from gravity alone.

That is kind of what I figured.

I happened to have read a post somewhere about instructions with the 90 valve recommending the water traveling up ... I have not been able to locate any such instruction sheet and would think that a horizontal install should be almost equally acceptable.

Thanks for the confirmation.

If you put them horizontal, you can remove the spring so that they will fully open when the pump is on low speed. Otherwise, they can partially close reducing flow rate a little on low speed.

So playing with the newly delivered check valves ... the springs are pretty stiff, so I can see the value of removing them. I can see this would work with the valve horizontal (clear side up). But, also seems like I could remove the spring if I mounted them vertically with the flow going up ... or is the fear that the flap could end up stuck open if it opened past vertical? Suppose I could play with them and see.

I think the flapper would open past vertical so it might stay open. Even horizontal, sometimes mine would stay open so I glued a spacer on top of the flapper so it wouldn't get stuck open. Also, if you push out the hinge pin, you can save the spring just in case you need to reinstall it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.