Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Orientation of Jandy/Pentair Check Valves

1. Back To Top    #1

Orientation of Jandy/Pentair Check Valves

Is there a preferred orientation for the flapper check valves?

I assume that on vertical pipes with the water flow down is probably not a great idea. But is there much difference between putting them horizontal (lid up obviously) or vertical with water flow up?

What about with the Jandy 90 turn check valves? In a vertical plane with water turning down would would the flapper motion sideways, but seems like they could go on a vertical plane with water flowing up or horizontally with little issue.

Thoughts?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Orientation of Jandy/Pentair Check Valves

You want them positioned so that gravity will naturally close the flapper in the absence of water flow. Nearly all of them will work in other positions, but you get better long term reliability with the flapper closing from gravity alone.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

That is kind of what I figured.

I happened to have read a post somewhere about instructions with the 90 valve recommending the water traveling up ... I have not been able to locate any such instruction sheet and would think that a horizontal install should be almost equally acceptable.

Thanks for the confirmation.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

4. Back To Top    #4

If you put them horizontal, you can remove the spring so that they will fully open when the pump is on low speed. Otherwise, they can partially close reducing flow rate a little on low speed.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by mas985
    If you put them horizontal, you can remove the spring so that they will fully open when the pump is on low speed. Otherwise, they can partially close reducing flow rate a little on low speed.
    Good tip!!! Thanks.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

6. Back To Top    #6

So playing with the newly delivered check valves ... the springs are pretty stiff, so I can see the value of removing them. I can see this would work with the valve horizontal (clear side up). But, also seems like I could remove the spring if I mounted them vertically with the flow going up ... or is the fear that the flap could end up stuck open if it opened past vertical? Suppose I could play with them and see.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

I think the flapper would open past vertical so it might stay open. Even horizontal, sometimes mine would stay open so I glued a spacer on top of the flapper so it wouldn't get stuck open. Also, if you push out the hinge pin, you can save the spring just in case you need to reinstall it.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater