Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt regeneration in SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt regeneration in SWG

Hello all,

I was wondering how is salt regenerated in a SWG. Can someone please tell me the chemical reactions in a SWG?

I know chlorine is produced by electrolysis of NaCl but how is NaCl regenerated?

Thanks!
    Suley, West Hills, CA
    IG 23000 Gallons with IG Spa Gunite plaster, Pentair Intelliflo VS 3HP, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 Cartridge filter, Teledyne Laars One series 400,000 BTU Nat Gas Heater, Hayward Max Flo 1HP Single Speed Spa pump, Noisy Spa blower, Dolphin Deluxe 4 robotic vacuum.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salt regeneration in SWG

The salt is provided by adding pool salt to your pool in levels that are usually between 3000 - 3600 ppm. As the salt is disolved in the water, it passes through the SWCG and the reaction takes place in the cell. As the chlorine is used up in the pool it returns to salt and the whole process begins again. Salt is NOT generated by the SWCG. Chlorine is.

Please read the pool school articles on this subject for a better explanation and also the balancing your water for SWG article.
    33,000 Gallon Vinyl Liner In-Ground Pool
    Intelliflo VS Pump; Triton II TR100 Sand Filter with Plumbed Waste Line
    IC40 SWG Cell; Easy Touch 4 Control Panel; Polaris PB4-60Q Halcyon Booster Pump
    Polaris 280 Automatic Cleaner; Dedicated return line; 1/2 Full Beer, Something on the Weber;
    AND, most importantly a TF100 Test Kit and a SpeedStir.

3. Back To Top    #3

For the complete chemistry, take a look at the second half of this post.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the replies!

I was wondering how NaCl is regenerated and looking for the chemical equation for that reaction.

Whats going on in my mind? Trying to design a floating chlorine generator which will use electrolysis of NaCl (brine). So I am trying to find a way to get rid of H2 safely and see if i can regenerate NaCl from the NaOH left behind.

If anyone has looked into this I would appreciate any information.
    Suley, West Hills, CA
    IG 23000 Gallons with IG Spa Gunite plaster, Pentair Intelliflo VS 3HP, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 Cartridge filter, Teledyne Laars One series 400,000 BTU Nat Gas Heater, Hayward Max Flo 1HP Single Speed Spa pump, Noisy Spa blower, Dolphin Deluxe 4 robotic vacuum.

5. Back To Top    #5

You should look at the link I posted above, it is all spelled out there. The one thing to keep in mind is that the entire reaction happens in solution, so the NaCl is not NaCl but instead Na+ and Cl-. If you remove the water it forms NaCl again.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Awesome!

Thanks!
    Suley, West Hills, CA