pool is blue but cloudy..HELP!

Apr 20, 2012
my pool is light blue but cloudy i took in some water sample to the pool place and these are the results:

free available chlorine- .5
total available chlorine- .5
calcium hardness- 160
cyanuric acid- 20
total alkalinity- 100
ph- 7.4
copper- 0
iron- 0
total dissolved solids- 1000
phosphates- 100
temp- 75 degrees

please tell me how to clear up my pool..what should i add etc. leslie pools tried selling me over $100 worth of stuff. thanks

Don't buy anything from Leslie's! Get yourself some CYA(Stabilizer) from Walmart and Bleach. You need to raise your CYA and FC. The money you save off the Leslie's you can put toward a test kit.

Since your CYA is so low, you can use the 2 tabs of tri-chlor if you wish ... they will only add about 4ppm of FC and 2ppm of CYA.

Yes you should be able to find the CYA stabilizer (sometimes called conditioner ... check the ingredients for cyanuric acid) in the pool section at walmart.

You need to get more FC in your pool using the liquid chlorine, but you really need a test kit to know how much to add (see my signature for the recommended kits).

How many of the tablets have you used recently?

wendy93089 said:
none i was going to clean the filter in a little throw in both tabs and 2 jugs of chlorine. and let the filter run 24/7.

Why 2 jugs? That just seems like adding chems for the sake of adding chems and not based on appropriate dosages. We like to have reliable tests so that we only add the chemicals the pool NEEDS ... thus saving our money.

Since your pool is cloudy now (was it green previously? What did you add to make it blue?) there is a chance you need to follow the Shocking Your Pool process. Alternatively, everything may already be dead and you just need to clear the water through filtration.

What is the strength of the chlorine you have? Have you calculated what kind of FC raise the 2 jugs will cause?

yeah the pool was really green a week ago. i put 7 jugs of chlorine not all at once and 6 shock bags. i vacuumed and brushed the pool. also cleaned the filter. the guy at the pool store told me all the pool needed was chlorine and a clarifier and it should be fine. he also told me my calcium hardness was low. im gettin a test kit but in the mean time gotta stick to the reading leslie pools gave me and the suggestions from you guys

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Dave is a fast shipper so you will get your kit in a few days. In the mean time you can follow the pool calculators recommendation for shock level and get it started. Run the filter 24/7 until you pass the overnight chlorine test. Any pics?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.