Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pool is blue but cloudy..HELP!

1. Back To Top    #1

pool is blue but cloudy..HELP!

my pool is light blue but cloudy i took in some water sample to the pool place and these are the results:

free available chlorine- .5
    total available chlorine- .5
    calcium hardness- 160
    cyanuric acid- 20
    total alkalinity- 100
    ph- 7.4
    copper- 0
    iron- 0
    total dissolved solids- 1000
    phosphates- 100
    temp- 75 degrees

please tell me how to clear up my pool..what should i add etc. leslie pools tried selling me over $100 worth of stuff. thanks
    pool size 30,000 gallons, concrete IG, Cartridge filter pump, dark green

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pool is blue but cloudy..HELP!

Don't buy anything from Leslie's! Get yourself some CYA(Stabilizer) from Walmart and Bleach. You need to raise your CYA and FC. The money you save off the Leslie's you can put toward a test kit.
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE Inteliflo VS 2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester

Pool School, Pool Calculator,TFTestKits,

3. Back To Top    #3

is the cya stabalizer from walmart in the pool section? i still have 5 chlorine jugs that need to be used and 2 three inch tabs

4. Back To Top    #4

Since your CYA is so low, you can use the 2 tabs of tri-chlor if you wish ... they will only add about 4ppm of FC and 2ppm of CYA.

Yes you should be able to find the CYA stabilizer (sometimes called conditioner ... check the ingredients for cyanuric acid) in the pool section at walmart.

You need to get more FC in your pool using the liquid chlorine, but you really need a test kit to know how much to add (see my signature for the recommended kits).

How many of the tablets have you used recently?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

none i was going to clean the filter in a little throw in both tabs and 2 jugs of chlorine. and let the filter run 24/7.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by wendy93089
    none i was going to clean the filter in a little throw in both tabs and 2 jugs of chlorine. and let the filter run 24/7.
    Why 2 jugs? That just seems like adding chems for the sake of adding chems and not based on appropriate dosages. We like to have reliable tests so that we only add the chemicals the pool NEEDS ... thus saving our money.

Since your pool is cloudy now (was it green previously? What did you add to make it blue?) there is a chance you need to follow the Shocking Your Pool process. Alternatively, everything may already be dead and you just need to clear the water through filtration.

What is the strength of the chlorine you have? Have you calculated what kind of FC raise the 2 jugs will cause?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

yeah the pool was really green a week ago. i put 7 jugs of chlorine not all at once and 6 shock bags. i vacuumed and brushed the pool. also cleaned the filter. the guy at the pool store told me all the pool needed was chlorine and a clarifier and it should be fine. he also told me my calcium hardness was low. im gettin a test kit but in the mean time gotta stick to the reading leslie pools gave me and the suggestions from you guys

8. Back To Top    #8

Just put in bleach, no clarifier! Don't worry about the hardness until you test with your test kit.
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE Inteliflo VS 2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester

9. Back To Top    #9

Do you have a test kit on order? If so which one?

10. Back To Top    #10

tk100 and store bleach or chlorine and how many

11. Back To Top    #11

Store bleach. Allot! Get 10 gallons! May need more.

12. Back To Top    #12

Dave is a fast shipper so you will get your kit in a few days. In the mean time you can follow the pool calculators recommendation for shock level and get it started. Run the filter 24/7 until you pass the overnight chlorine test. Any pics?