water almost all leaked out after last winter close

ffly

Jun 18, 2010
I had Leslie's winterize and close my pool last winter. The pool is a 40x20 in-ground vinyl liner. I noticed through the cover that the water had almost all leaked out! It's either the main drain or the floor liner that is leaking, because the water level now is close to the floor of the shallow end.

I suspect it was the technician who was not careful with the cover hooks and tore the liner (I saw him dropped a corner of the cover during the closing). Called Leslie's. They scheduled a technician to come in a few days, and said if it was not their fault, they would charge the service. But how can they tell if it's their fault? I mean what if they just find whatever excuse to claim it's not their fault? Has anyone had this kind of experience? Would they reimburse for the lost water? It's 3 or 4 hundred bucks!

And with water level that low, am I risking the liner "float"? Do I need to replace the whole liner?

Thanks!

It is very difficult to prove fault in that kind of situation. If they don't accept responsibility, it is difficult to do anything about it.

If the water level has gone below 6" in the shallow end, you need to either patch and reset the liner, or replace it. Generally a liner will only survive resetting if it is only one or two years old. Typically it will tear if it is older than that. (Though sometimes you get lucky.) If there is still 6" of water in the shallow end you can just fill it back up again as soon as you fix the leak.

You already know that the ground water level is fairly low. Otherwise there would be more water in the pool. Given it is already mostly drained, there isn't much else that can go wrong due to ground water.

Seems like if the water level is that low it is either a tear on bottom or a leaking main drain. The main drain could be leaking now if it wasn't properly winterized. Do you know what they did to winterize it...maybe ask if you don't.

As to the cover hooks piercing the floor of the liner by being dropped...it seems unlikely to me.

This does sound very frustrating. Post a pic of the leak when you find it if it is in the liner.

OK. Looked again today. THe shallow end has been completely dry. And the liner already "floated". Great. I will have a new pool! :grrrr:

I noticed the water level was dropping. Not sure where it went. Must have sipped through the ground below.

Anyone had any experience getting indemnification from Leslie's or any service company?

Last year my 28k gallon pool leaked ALL the water out and my liner is 10 years old and they were able to reseat my liner so there is hope. My main drain leaked I think never really found out. Good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.