Heater Plumbing

BigEyesLittleWallet

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 17, 2010
Metamora IL
My geothermal guy was out at my place for a service call and noticed I had put a pool in last year. He had a suggestion I wanted to pass back all of you.

I have both and water to air unit and a water to water (radiant heat)

My existing plumbing is 1.5 pvc from the filter to my swg and then into the pool.

He suggested that I run 2 1" lines from my water to water heater to about where my swg is. He said he could tap into the existing lines on the way into the pool and heat the pool with my water to water unit. The water to water unit is about 65 feet away.

My questions:
1. What valves would you use to split off 1" of flow and still keep the remaining flow going to the pool. I would think you would want to shut the flow to the heater off during the summer?
2. Wouldn't I need another pump? (currently running on a 1.5 hp pump)

A swimming pool requires a tremendous amount of heat, noticeably more than your typical residential home. You could certainly get some heat out of such a system, but not nearly as much as you would get out of the typical pool heater. You would also need to add a second water to water transfer system. You can not run pool water through your existing household water heat transfer unit, nor can you run pool water through the geothermal loop.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.