New Pool Owner, going SWG

TK13LG

Mar 19, 2012
Our pool is currently being installed. We went with a SWG system based on all the stuff I read. However, as the finish day approaches, I am nervous I will screw things up.

I have no idea what type of pool tester kit will be provided....assuming a basic drop test. I have ordered salt test strips even though there are mixed reviews.

I guess what I'm most worried about is making sure the chemistry is right. I found this chart, but I'm not sure what do with it. I know FC stands for Free Chlorine, but what does that really mean?

SWG Pools

CYA (Stabilizer) Minimum FC Target FC Shock FC
60 3 4 24
70 3 5 28
80 4 6 30

Then there is the Total Alkalinity which I have read that you need to keep this lower to help control your PH from getting high.

I've looked at the pool calculator which is all greek to me.

I want to do a BBB method, but I think I am in way over my head. I'm hoping once I see the test kit and the builder explains the basics it will all start falling into place.

Don't expect much out of the "free" test kit you'll get. Gt ahead of the game and order one of the ones recommended in pool school. Fc is like the food on your plate you haven't eaten yet if you're on a diet and plan to leave a portion there. In this case, substitute YOU for sun algae, dirt, swimmer overload and such. The level of FC varies with your level of CYA. Obviously, the higher the CYA-the higher the level of FC required. The first number is the one you never want to go below and then up to the top of the recommended range for that level of CYA. Last number is the shock level of FC required to kill algae-see shocking your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.