Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hard piping from Intex Skimmer/filter combo

1. Back To Top    #1

Hard piping from Intex Skimmer/filter combo

I'm setting up my pool for the season and I'm going to hard pipe it. My pool came with the beloved Summer Escapes skimmer/filter/pump combo, but I quickly upgraded to the sand filter, pump and SWCG that they had on sale last year. My issue is finding a way to get rid of the pump that attaches to the bottom of the skimmer and somehow adapt it to accept 1-1/2" PVC.

Has anyone figured out a way (other than getting a new skimmer, which I may do at some point) to hard pipe these skimmers? I've only seen a couple of people post that they even have them, so I think Summer Escapes figured out it was a bad design..... but hey, when has a that ever stopped them before.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!!
    16'x32'x52" Intex AGP
    Intex sand filter, Intex SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hard piping from Intex Skimmer/filter combo

Well, I think I've figured out a way to adapt it...... I'll post pics once I get it finished. I'm heading to SLC, Utah for a couple weeks for work so it may be a bit before I get back to it......
    16'x32'x52" Intex AGP

3. Back To Top    #3

Is that the SFS2000 type skimmer with a pump attached to the bottom? I would really like to see or hear your idea. I am trying to do the same this year.

I had tried the G.A.M.E. Skim Filter Pump Adapter Kit, but it is for a 1-1/4" or 1-1/2" opening. Of course, there were no specifications available before I wasted money on the purchase.

Anyway, I am really looking forward to what you have come up with.

4. Back To Top    #4

justopie,

It is the same skimmer. My plan is to take a 1 1/2" Trap Adapter (it's threaded on one end with a plastic nut) from Lowe's, modify the plastic nut so that it will screw all the way down to the collar and then use a 1 1/4" hole saw to open up the bottom of the skimmer. That way you can insert the adapter from the bottom and use the nut and a gasket to hold it and make the seal. Then it would be easily removable for service or taking the pool down.

I've thought of a dozen different ways to adapt it, but this one seems to have the best chance for working...... and it's super cheap.
    16'x32'x52" Intex AGP

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks. I'll look into it for my system. I'm still looking forward to your finished product.

6. Back To Top    #6

We have the same type of skimmer and need to make this modification as well. Looking forward to seeing how this works for you. pics would be great!

thanks,
    Julie
    12'x36" / 2100 gal/ AG / Krystal Clear Model 603 filter cartridge pump ( cleans surprisingly well for a $35 pump!)

7. Back To Top    #7

Hayward skimmer kits are pretty cheap. Do these Summer Escapes not use a std pattern?
    Hayward kits come in std and wide mouthed.

Chuck
    Swim n Play 21' round, expandable 72" liner, 6FT deep center, buried 14", 12,750 Gallons
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed with 22" Sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    Thanks to TFP my pool is perfect all the time :party:
    I now suffer from Sparklypoolitis! :whoot:
    I am a Platinum contributor because I want everyone who comes here to Trouble Free Pool to have the same success that I enjoy with my pool and family.

8. Back To Top    #8

Chuck,

The pool I have included the skimmer, which is the SFS2000 type skimmer. I didn't see a reason at the moment on patching the pool wall and then replacing it with a different skimmer. However, it may be cheaper in the long run to do just that. We'll see.

9. Back To Top    #9

Crum..did your modification work? I have the same setup and just went to the sandpump filter also but am waiting for a part from Intex, so any mods I can make while wait would be great. If you can send a pick and what you used would be great.
    13500 gallons
    Intex 2650 Sand filter pump
    AG

10. Back To Top    #10

I cut a hole matched to the size of the adapter fitting using a hole saw. If you look inside the skimmer at the bottom you can see a raised circular ring. I used that to center the hole saw. It worked perfectly, no leaks! However, I also upgraded my pump, so now when I use the pool vacuum, my skimmer collapses in. I'll take pictures of it the skimmer with the vacuum turned on. Eventually I have a feeling the skimmer will eventually crack.