Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Outdoor rock fireplace chimney - share with house fireplace?

1. Back To Top    #1

Outdoor rock fireplace chimney - share with house fireplace?

Please give my typing mistakes. I'm posting from my iPhone. The keys are small, my fingers are fat, and the phone keeps incorectly correcting me.

I'm am transitioning between the dreaming and planning stage of an outdoor fireplace and wood oven. The location I want for it is just opposite the living room fireplace. Is it possible to tie the chimneys together around ceiling height. Or should I plan on building a new chimney above roofline next to the existing one? I'm concerned two chimneys side by side would look bad on the house roofline.

If it makes any difference the existing fireplace is modern with metal firebox and metal pipe chimney.
    13k gallon IG gunite pool
    Jandy 2 speed pump
    Jandy cartridge filter
    Stenner Pump and tank

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Outdoor rock fireplace chimney - share with house firepl

These rules vary depending on location and authority, so you'll have to check your local building codes. But it's usually considered unsafe because the exhaust products from one fireplace can find it's way back into the house through the other fireplace.
    Eric

IG 17x33 Grecian - Vinyl Liner (21k gallons), Hayward Pro-Grid DE 4820 filter, Hayward Super Pump, CompuPool SWG CPSC36, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

+1 for WestSidePool's comments. Check your codes, but it's probably not allowed. I bet you could run two separate metal chimneys inside one larger stone structure.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

And +1 from Melt. It would probably require a rebuild for your current chimney. You will have to have 2 separate flues going up the entire chimney chase. Tying 2 flues would do exactly that.....drafting the wrong place/wrong time, and you would have some issues.
    Kansas City, MO
    13500 gallon Foxx vinyl sport pool--inground (1988)
    Cristal-Flo sand filter
    Ray-Pak 406A digital
    1.5 HP single speed
    400 gallon Heldor inground spa, octagon

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok, so my first idea to merge the flues into one is a no go.
    Maybe two flues in the existing chimney structure is workable. I'll look closer at what is there now to see.
    13k gallon IG gunite pool
    Jandy 2 speed pump
    Jandy cartridge filter
    Stenner Pump and tank

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by WestSidePool
    These rules vary depending on location and authority, so you'll have to check your local building codes. But it's usually considered unsafe because the exhaust products from one fireplace can find it's way back into the house through the other fireplace.
    X2.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.