Trying to open the pool myself...motor just hums

skali

May 26, 2009
Hello!

I'm attempting to open our salt water pool on my own this year. (I'm reminded of the old joke about the lawyer who defends himself having a fool for a client.) Anyway, I THINK I have covered all the preliminaries.

Cover off.
Filled up pool to the appropriate level.
Installed filter baskets in skimmer and at pump
Removed plug from the skimmer and replaced the return jet plugs with "eye balls."
Re-inserted the plugs under the pump and its basket (there were 2) and at the base of the sand filter.
Filled the pump basket with water to prime it. Replaced the lid.
Turned the filter "dial" to backwash (from "winterize.)
And powered up the motor (it's hardwired into the electrical outlet next to it), only to hear the dreaded hummmmmm with no pumping or suction.

I've read through many of the posts and know that many humming motors are the result of a clogged impeller or a faulty capacitor. It's pitch black right now, so I can't check those until morning.

What I'm wondering is: Have I missed a step in the pool opening requirements? Could that be part of the motor's problem?

Many thanks for any insight!

skali said:
What I'm wondering is: Have I missed a step in the pool opening requirements? Could that be part of the motor's problem?
Sounds to me like you haven't missed anything. Does the motor shaft turn freely? You can check this by having the power off to the motor and rotating the impeller, or (on some motors) you can remove the rear cover to the motor and turn the shaft directly. The shaft should move freely.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.