Confused

Did my 1st tests with TF100 last night.

13200 gal
    FC 2.5
    PH 7.8
    TA 130
    CH250
    CYA 50

I wanted to go up to 8 FC, Pool Calculater said add 151oz of 6% bleach. I added whole 182oz of Wal-Mart 6% bleach. Tests now are

FC 14
    PH 7.8
    CYA 50
    CC was 0 on both tests.

Why did it raise the FC so much?? Great website and forum, BTW. Pool was installed in November so I'm still learning
    14x28 13,200 gal IG Vinyl
    Pentair SD60 60gpm
    Pentair SuperFlo 3/4hp
    2 Aqua Genie Skimmers
    TF100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Confused

Welcome to TFP!

There are several ways that could happen. The most likely is you entered the the wrong size for your pool, larger than it actually is, into the Pool Calculator.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Welcome to the forum. Well, you used the calculator correctly, I think. How sure are you on the size of your pool?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

It's 14x28 in ground vinyl. Installer said it was 13,200 gallons
    Pentair SD60 60gpm
    Pentair SuperFlo 3/4hp
    2 Aqua Genie Skimmers
    TF100

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Well, that sounds about right, also. The next best guess is if you are new to the test kit, a testing error is a common issue. review the steps....did you multiply X.5 to get the answer?
    Dave S.

6. Back To Top    #6

It was 28 drops. The test was taken 2.5 hrs later. Pump is running 24-7 til I get a timer this weekend. I'll test again tomorrow when I get off work
    Pentair SD60 60gpm
    Pentair SuperFlo 3/4hp
    2 Aqua Genie Skimmers
    TF100

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to tfp, darylfoot
    Quote Originally Posted by darylfoot
    It was 28 drops. The test was taken 2.5 hrs later. Pump is running 24-7 til I get a timer this weekend. I'll test again tomorrow when I get off work
    This has me stumped (a possibly silly question for you...you don't have a swg or other chlorinator running, or perhaps a floater or forgotten pucks in skimmer by any chance?)...let us know what your next results are.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

8. Back To Top    #8

Haven't I read somewhere on the forum that bleach is commonly stronger than the % listed on the label? Stronger bleach together with a slightly over estimated pool volume could cause the anomaly...
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Haven't I read somewhere on the forum that bleach is commonly stronger than the % listed on the label?
    No, I think you have to be concerned that it is possibly weaker but seldom, if ever, stronger.

MY LQ guy said the 12% I use is manufactured at around 14% but that it quickly starts to lose strength and by the time it gets to the consumer, is right around 12ppm......and they buy chlorine twice weekly.

However, that 12% chlorine weakens MUCH quicker than 6% so it will last on the shelves of the store and in your garage quite a bit longer (weeks) but it does slowly weaken.

I do remember a chart someone posted showing the degradation but I searched and didn't find.
    Dave S.

10. Back To Top    #10

OK, checked my FC tonight and it was at 5. I'll check again tomorrow and see what's up...
    Pentair SD60 60gpm
    Pentair SuperFlo 3/4hp
    2 Aqua Genie Skimmers
    TF100

11. Back To Top    #11

http://www.powellfab.com/technical_info ... tware.aspx

The Powell Sodium Hypochlorite Decomposition Program generates graphs and tables illustrating the decomposition of sodium hypochlorite based on the user's selected temperature, starting weight, and bleach quality.
    The user can automatically generate tables and graphs depicting the decomposition of sodium hypochlorite over time (between 1 and 360 days) for up to four various scenarios based on the selected temperatures, starting weights, and quality of bleach (filtered or non-filtered).
    The Powell Sodium Hypochlorite Decomposition Program is available for free.

12. Back To Top    #12

When you add any chemicals make sure you test the water again 1-2 hours after adding the chemical. If you don't get the results you expect then we'll go from there.

I always add more water to my test cylinder after running the FC test to make sure the water turns pink. If you don't put enough powder in the test, the water will not turn pink and the test should be redone with more powder than the first test.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process