New pool owner with questions aplenty

Apr 25, 2012
I am opening a 20X40 concrete pool that has been closed for several years, I have many many questions...I am told that 2 or 3 years ago they tried to kill the algae and were unable, so they just closed it back up.
I emptied the pool, pressure & acid washed it. I need to paint it, should I assume that it is the rubberized paint? Can I paint epoxy over it if it is?

Next, it was converted to salt water a few years ago; can I test the cell to see if it still works before I fill the pool? If it doesn't I'll just go with chlorine. Fortunately we have had an early spring in Indiana, so I have an early start, but I am a stopping point and I need some advice.

Welcome to TFP.

I wouldn't assume that it's rubberized paint. You probably should have someone come look at it and maybe even see if you can have one of the paint companies (Sherwin Williams, Benjamin Moore, etc). test it to see what it is. The general concensus is that paint is just a stop gap measure and you should have it plastered. It usually won't last more than a few years and it's usually not worth it.

You may be able to take the cell to a local pool store and have them test it for you. Most have the ability to do that.

I have found out that, yes it is rubberized, I can't afford to re-plaster, so I am going to paint it with the rubberize paint from poolpaint.us.
Is there any way to test the swg cell to see if it is functioning? If it is not, I will probably just open it up chlorine. If I can find out if it is operational before I add salt, it would be a waste of time & money.
Thanks for your help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.