Just Opened and...

Mar 18, 2008
Garden State
Just opened pool and have an issue I need to run by the experts...

I am noticing the strength of water coming out of the returns is drastically reduced. If I switch my multi-port valve to recirculate it is back to full force. After a full wash of the grids in my DE filter and re-stocking with DE it runs fine set to filter, however 3 hours later is back to almost no flow at all. Where do I start the troubleshooting?

Thanks in advance.

Where do I start the troubleshooting?
Probably nowhere. Your filter is doing what it is supposed to do...filtering something out of your pool water. You simply have to continue to backwash and recharge until the interval gets longer because you are no longer filtering out as much junk.

Can you post your test results?

What does your water look like?

Thanks for the quick reply. I was hoping I was on the right track.

When I uncovered Tuesday night it was really really dark green (maybe brownish in spots). Been keeping CL levels high and brushing, shallow end is no longer green, deep end still is. Water is very cloudy.

At mid-day my test results matched the PS's:
FC 8
CC 2
TC 10
pH 8.8 (I was just > 8.2)
TA 110

I wasn't sure about doing acid so went with the PS's pH decreaser and added 9 lbs after pre-dissolving around 2:30 pm this afternoon. I have continued to add bleach this afternoon and evening to keep my CL level high and just re-tested:
FC 9
CC 1.5
TC 10.5
pH 8.2 (or maybe a little higher)

I assume it will take until morning or longer for the pH to be a true reading based on the decreaser added a few hours ago, is that correct?

After backwashing the filter again (pressure gauge had only increased about 5 psi) flow seems good for now.

Thanks again.

With the pump running it should take the PH reducer less than an hour to fully mix in and have whatever effect it is going to have.

You need to get the PH down below 8.0 as soon as practical, preferably down to something more like 7.5 to 7.8. High PH can interfere with chlorine and also puts you at risk of calcium scaling and metal stains.

What is your CYA level? It seems likely that you are not using nearly enough chlorine, though I can't be sure without knowing your CYA level. The correct FC level to use when shocking depends on your CYA level.

Just tested CYA and filled entire view tube with dot still completely visible. I was concerned about increasing CYA with the constant backwashing, should I be concerned with that at this stage or is it better to get it increased?

Not sure how much I should be using, but since Tuesday I have used just under 40 gallons of 6% bleach - 27 182 oz jugs of Clorox. I am trying to keep it at shock level however not being home has caused issues with that :)

Just to be sure I am getting what I read, I should add acid (that's all I have currently) to lower the pH by pouring VERY SLOWLY into the return stream, correct?

Yeah, get your pH down as Jason says (I'm emphasizing the need :lol: ) and pouring it slowly in front of a return is the perfect way.

Yeah you will lose a lot of CYA when you backwash but you lose a lot of chlorine because you don't have any CYA......it's pretty much of a wash. Leave the CYA at zero for now and try adding your chlorine like this....

Add a dose to get to shock level just as soon as the sun is off the pool. Then bring it back to shock level just before you go to bed (or even a couple of points over is OK.)

Bring it back up to shock level again by getting up as early as you can stand it. Then, don't add anymore chlorine until the sun is off the pool again in the afternoon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.