My "Splash" Pool - Intex Ultra - Base Advice?

MtnMisty

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 18, 2012
Northern California
This forum is a gold mine for a newbie like me. Wow.

I'm hoping to get some input on setting up my dream, errr, pool.

Here's what I got:
Intex 18' x 52" Ultra Frame ($175 used, 1 season w/1500 gpm pump, Craigslist)
Intex 2,650-Gallon Sand Filter Pump (new, Amazon)
Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System ($50, used, Craigslist, 1 season, different owner than pool, super friendly helpful seller who sold me his 1yr old blue solar cover for $8 :whoot: )

Pool Base Plan:
Level dirt (my Operating Engineer nephew w/mini-excavator)
Foam board 3/4" x 4' x 8' http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...0053&langId=-1&keyword=Foamular&storeId=10051
Pond Liner (old, never used for a pond, thick and heavy)

Does that combo sound sufficient for the pool base? My nephew was saying we should do 4" - 6" compacted base rock + 2" sand + old liner. I like the talk of the foam board and wince at the thought of rock under sand under my pool.

Oh, in Northern Calif.

Thanks in advance for input!

(I call it my "Splash" pool because it's for my Golden, too. That is if she likes it and takes to the training to keep her off the sides! :mrgreen: ).

I would go partially with your nephew, 2-4" compacted crushed rock (screenings), just sand to fill any divots. Then I would use 1 1/2" to 2" foam board. Then a heavy duty tarp on top of the board (the pond liner will work).
And that is exactly what I did!

Reactions: cmcree
MtnMisty said:
This forum is a gold mine for a newbie like me. Wow.

I'm hoping to get some input on setting up my dream, errr, pool.

Here's what I got:
Intex 18' x 52" Ultra Frame ($175 used, 1 season w/1500 gpm pump, Craigslist)
Intex 2,650-Gallon Sand Filter Pump (new, Amazon)
Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System ($50, used, Craigslist, 1 season, different owner than pool, super friendly helpful seller who sold me his 1yr old blue solar cover for $8 :whoot: )

Pool Base Plan:
Level dirt (my Operating Engineer nephew w/mini-excavator)
Foam board 3/4" x 4' x 8' http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...0053&langId=-1&keyword=Foamular&storeId=10051
Pond Liner (old, never used for a pond, thick and heavy)

Does that combo sound sufficient for the pool base? My nephew was saying we should do 4" - 6" compacted base rock + 2" sand + old liner. I like the talk of the foam board and wince at the thought of rock under sand under my pool.

Oh, in Northern Calif.

Thanks in advance for input!

(I call it my "Splash" pool because it's for my Golden, too. That is if she likes it and takes to the training to keep her off the sides! :mrgreen: ).

I recently put up the same pool and used the same foam along with a heavy duty tarp and we couldn't be happier. We are in Florida, so the ground is sand already. We didn't put down any base rock. Just cleared off the sod/grass, leveled a 20' circle, laid down the 4'x8'x3/4" foam boards with Gorilla Taped seams, put the tarp over it and set up the pool. The legs of the pool are on top of the tarp/foam and settled in approx 1/4" into it but we didn't use any pavers.

Thanks for input!

I ended up going with just leveling the ground and 1" foam boards Gorilla taped with the pond liner on top. No divots, love it.

And, the legs ended up on the foam board, also. 1/4" is about as much as they sunk, too. I had planned on using some flagstone for supports, but things happened so fast when we actually started putting the pool together and filling and attempting to remove wrinkles that I didn't get around to positioning all the legs on the stones in time! But, things seem to have "settled" well, so far.

Thanks again.

Oh, meant to mention ... I'm no longer calling my pool my "splash" pool as my Golden doesn't particularly care for swimming. Training her on climbing the ladder sunk in as all I need do is have a hand on her collar and she has the confidence to climb. Training her in the pool to head for ladder, ONLY, took all of 2 swims. She's a smart girl! She much prefers just sitting up on the ladder watching over the activity than jumping in. If she's happy with that, so am I ... I love my pool either way!! :whoot:

Hmmm, maybe I'll get a pic of her up on the ladder watching over the pool as my avatar here! That'd be apropos. :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.