Intellichlor Red Light

May 9, 2011
Chicago, Il
My Intellichlor's (1 year old) red light has remained on since they opened my pool. The red light means low salt. I have not cleaned it yet.

Temprature - 62
Salt levels - 3200
FC - 10 - I think they added some when they opened the pool

Not sure what to do but want to get it resolved before the temps go up.

Thanks

Get you salt level tested independently. You can buy a salt testing kit or at the least have a pool store test it. Then you know what the intellichlor should read and if the salt is really too low.

Inspect the cell and clean it as that could improve its reading.

The Intellichlor will not work or read the salt right until the water temp heats up.

I believe it is calibrated to be accurate at 77 degrees. Each 5 degree in water temp makes the sensor think it is 200ppm lower in salt.

You might be able to add a little salt and still be below say 3600ppm, but I just had the same problem so this is how I learned this issue
with the IC40 system.

OR just use liquid chlorine for a bit until the pools heats up. At the lower water temp the demand will be low.

Well, consistency is not always there. I've got an IC40 and my temp is about 70, but it's been lower and when I got the salt level correct, it was green light since then. Bottom line, keep checking your FC level even when it's green. Don't get caught not having FC. I check my pool about every other day. Even with a red light, it can still produce FC.

I also recommend that anyone with an swg get the Taylor salt test kit. The red light on the Intellichlor means low salt which may push one to add salt.

I had my pool store test the salt level and they read 2000, my Taylor test kit was averaging out at 3200. Only trust your own test kits once you get used to them.

I have an IC-40 and water temp is 60. At 55 degrees or so the SWG will turn off. At 60, once I got my salt in the 3400 range the SWG turned on. With that said, the SWG says optimal is 3200, but the manual says they want salinity between 3000-4000 ppm. The manual also states there is a +/- 500 ppm accuracy tolerance on the SWG so without a reliable salt test kit or electronic test, your are kind of flying blind. It's worth reading the manual on these units, you can learn a lot and reduce the guess work. I also purchased an electronic salt tester from Pulse Instruments. It was worth the money.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.