Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cannot Get Out Dirt

1. Back To Top    #1

Cannot Get Out Dirt

Hey Guys and Gals,

Came home from the Easter holiday to find that someone had thrown mud balls into my swimming pool from over our fence. My beautiful pool was full of dirt. I have tried and tried to get all the fine red dirt out of my pool with no luck. My question is how do I do it? I sweep and the crystal clear water takes on an Oklahoma red dirt tint. It all settles back to the bottom and I vacuum and it seems to turn to a cloud of dust (even going very very slowly)
    Any help would be sooooo greatly appreciated!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cannot Get Out Dirt

Hi Dawn,

When you vacuum, are you setting it to "waste"? We have the red clay here in Georgia as well and that is sometimes my only option, as it will work its way through the filter back to the pool.

I also changed my polaris 380 to a "fine mesh" bag which helps!
    16 x 32 Grecian Vinyl. Salt-Aqua Plus PS-4, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter, Hayward Ecostar SP34000vsp, Gulfstream HE-125-T-A Heat/Cool heat Pump

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

If it settles to the bottom, you need to vacuum even slower and it will eventually come out. May take several tries.

If you sweep it into suspension, the filter will probably clean it eventually, too, but that may take much longer.

I would vacuum at a snails pace....I think it's your only viable option.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Yep, vac. to waste. And switch to silt bag on your vac. Find the culprits!
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE Inteliflo VS 2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester

Pool School, Pool Calculator,TFTestKits,

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you all for the advice I really appreciate it! I know this sounds goofy but what is a silt bag? I have only owned my pool for about 3 years so I am a novice still! I would love to find the guilty parties but I sure hope they had fun doing it because the cleanup has not been fun

6. Back To Top    #6

Silt bag goes on your vac. It is basically like a nylon stocking material and it traps the dirt a sand in the bag.
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE Inteliflo VS 2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester

Pool School, Pool Calculator,TFTestKits,

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by maxepr1
    Silt bag goes on your vac. It is basically like a nylon stocking material and it traps the dirt a sand in the bag.
    Confused. Why would you need a silt bag on your vacuum if you are vacuuming to waste?

Or are you saying to put a silt bag on an automatic cleaner of some sort?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!