I have a new pool just finished in December. Shortly after getting things going I noticed calcium starting to build up around the natural stone wall in the back on the pool. There was both calcium in the mortar between the stones as well as building up on the waterline tile. See the red circles in the picture below.
I was able to remove all calcium with the help of a pumice stone, muriatic acid, a mini pool brush and elbow grease. I mainly used the pumice stone for the waterline tile.
For the natural stone and mortar areas I used a spray bottle with one part acid 2 parts water. I would spray the solution let the acid eat away the calcium for a bit them scrub the area with a brush. I would then rinse the wall by splashing it with pool water. Repeat several times as necessary….
I'm happy to say its all gone but is the acid safe to use on the stone and mortar in this way or is it eating away at those items as well? Can this cause other long term problems? Also what other options do I have to either remove or eliminate future calcium deposits?