Do the Pentair LED Intellibrites need a controler?

kevreh

Bronze Supporter
Jun 2, 2007
Annandale, VA
Like the title says, thinking of replacing my standard 300w light. I'm probably going to go with the white only light, but am open to the multi-color lights if not much more. But it looks like you need some kind of controller to control the "light show."

Kevin

Kevreh,

I just installed the installed the Intellibrite white light 500W equivalent in my pool and it is amazing! :goodjob: As for the color changing models you do not need the controller, you can change the color modes using your standard wall switch. I have included a link below to the user manual for the 5g light.

[urlhttp://www.pentairpool.com/pool-pro/products/lighting-color-changing-intellibrite-5g-color-led-74.htm][/url]

First and foremost the energy savings, it's energy usage is equivalent to 70 watts vs 500 watts. I can actually have it scheduled to be on a regular schedule and not be shocked when I get my utility bill, even with relatively low utility rates. Second it is a crisp light, incandescents are an orange-ish yellow hue to them and the LED is more of a blue-ish hue. I will take some pics for you tonight with my hot tub light on, still incandescent, and my pool light on.

I have the standard pentair lights. I flick on a switch and they turn on. Can I install these LED lights and the "switch" will still work? Or do I have install something else like a controller? Thanks!

Re: Do the Pentair LED Intellibrites need a controller?

I upgraded to an intellibrite a couple years ago and used a regular wall switch to control light shows, however it was royal PIA :-D to get the appropriate light show to display so I upgraded and bought the controller and we just love it. Even DW can change the light show without much hassle. :mrgreen: Look at this link pentair-intellibrite-light-controller-t22422.html
Hope this helps :cheers: :cheers:

kevreh,

Here is the pictures I took of the light last night. Sorry for the poor quality my wife was in Dallas with the camera last night. You can tell quite the difference between the LED light in the pool and the incandescent light in the hot tub. I definitely prefer the LED look. I will be upgrading my hot tub light just as soon as I can, as they are quite pricey and as you see my incandescent is still burning. Please remember that I have the white light and I chose this over the color for maximum output and price. I only paid $350.00 for my fixture with a 50 foot cord. Hope this helps in your decision making because I had a hard time finding much info on just the white LED.

Justin

photo.JPG

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
thanks for posting justin. You have a similar size pool as I do. I'm leaning towards the Intellibrite white light to since its ~$150 less than the full color version. My pool is 16x32 and the light is in the deep end, so I need a light that will provide maximum effect all the way to the shallow end.

You may know this, but according to the manual you can adjust the light diffuser for a wide or narrow beam, depending on your goal. The narrow beam projects the light further, while the wide beam spreads it wider.

Brentr said:
I upgraded to an intellibrite a couple years ago and used a regular wall switch to control light shows, however it was royal PIA :-D to get the appropriate light show to display so I upgraded and bought the controller and we just love it. Even DW can change the light show without much hassle. :mrgreen: Look at this link pentair-intellibrite-light-controller-t22422.html

Can you set the Intellibrite led color lights to be on a timer with the Intellibrite controller? Or do I need to have something like the EasyTouch system? Thanks.

Angnjam said:
Brentr said:

Can you set the Intellibrite led color lights to be on a timer with the Intellibrite controller? Or do I need to have something like the EasyTouch system? Thanks.

The Intellibrites remember the last setting, so you could hook them up to a timer circuit. I think it is pretty easy to set the light color or "show" mode using a standard light switch to toggle the modes. It might be a bit tricky with a timer, but doable.

If you have the Intellibrite controller putting a timer on it won't work. To turn the controller on you must push the green button to turn them on. If you use an automation system you don't need the controller but then you can set the timer function on the automation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.