Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do the Pentair LED Intellibrites need a controler?

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Do the Pentair LED Intellibrites need a controler?

Like the title says, thinking of replacing my standard 300w light. I'm probably going to go with the white only light, but am open to the multi-color lights if not much more. But it looks like you need some kind of controller to control the "light show."

Kevin
    16x32 Concrete IG
    Equipment: Carvin 525sf Cartridge Filter, Jandy Gas Heater, Vortex Solar Panels w/solar valve, 1hp Hayward Pump with 3/4 HP AO Smith 2 Speed Replacement Motor, Aquarite Saltwater Cell, Polaris 280 Dolphin Active 20 Robot
    Automation: Hayward Prologic Controller

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Do the Pentair LED Intellibrites need a controler?

Kevreh,

I just installed the installed the Intellibrite white light 500W equivalent in my pool and it is amazing! As for the color changing models you do not need the controller, you can change the color modes using your standard wall switch. I have included a link below to the user manual for the 5g light.

[urlhttp://www.pentairpool.com/pool-pro/products/lighting-color-changing-intellibrite-5g-color-led-74.htm][/url]
    21,550 Gallon Plaster Pool With Attached Hot Tub, 2.5 HP Pentair Challenger, 60 Sq Ft FNS Plus DE Filter, Aqua Rite SWG T-15 Cell, Aqualink PDA PS8

3. Back To Top    #3

21,550 Gallon Plaster Pool With Attached Hot Tub, 2.5 HP Pentair Challenger, 60 Sq Ft FNS Plus DE Filter, Aqua Rite SWG T-15 Cell, Aqualink PDA PS8

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Thanks!!! What do you like about it? Any pictures by chance?
    16x32 Concrete IG
    Equipment: Carvin 525sf Cartridge Filter, Jandy Gas Heater, Vortex Solar Panels w/solar valve, 1hp Hayward Pump with 3/4 HP AO Smith 2 Speed Replacement Motor, Aquarite Saltwater Cell, Polaris 280 Dolphin Active 20 Robot

5. Back To Top    #5

First and foremost the energy savings, it's energy usage is equivalent to 70 watts vs 500 watts. I can actually have it scheduled to be on a regular schedule and not be shocked when I get my utility bill, even with relatively low utility rates. Second it is a crisp light, incandescents are an orange-ish yellow hue to them and the LED is more of a blue-ish hue. I will take some pics for you tonight with my hot tub light on, still incandescent, and my pool light on.

6. Back To Top    #6

I have the 5g color lights and we really like them. The pool and spa glow at night and have deep rich colors. All of my friends who have pools want to change their standard white to the color changing lights now.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

7. Back To Top    #7

I have the standard pentair lights. I flick on a switch and they turn on. Can I install these LED lights and the "switch" will still work? Or do I have install something else like a controller? Thanks!
    IG plaster; 32x16x3-5 ft. w overflow spa; ~15k gals; 2 hp Pentair pump; 120 gpm Pentair DE filter; Pentair heater

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

I read the manual Walker linked to above, and yes, you can use your current ordinary wall switch and no controller.
    16x32 Concrete IG

9. Back To Top    #9

Re: Do the Pentair LED Intellibrites need a controller?

I upgraded to an intellibrite a couple years ago and used a regular wall switch to control light shows, however it was royal PIA to get the appropriate light show to display so I upgraded and bought the controller and we just love it. Even DW can change the light show without much hassle. Look at this link pentair-intellibrite-light-controller-t22422.html
    Hope this helps
    6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

10. Back To Top    #10

kevreh,

Here is the pictures I took of the light last night. Sorry for the poor quality my wife was in Dallas with the camera last night. You can tell quite the difference between the LED light in the pool and the incandescent light in the hot tub. I definitely prefer the LED look. I will be upgrading my hot tub light just as soon as I can, as they are quite pricey and as you see my incandescent is still burning. Please remember that I have the white light and I chose this over the color for maximum output and price. I only paid $350.00 for my fixture with a 50 foot cord. Hope this helps in your decision making because I had a hard time finding much info on just the white LED.

Justin

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

thanks for posting justin. You have a similar size pool as I do. I'm leaning towards the Intellibrite white light to since its ~$150 less than the full color version. My pool is 16x32 and the light is in the deep end, so I need a light that will provide maximum effect all the way to the shallow end.

You may know this, but according to the manual you can adjust the light diffuser for a wide or narrow beam, depending on your goal. The narrow beam projects the light further, while the wide beam spreads it wider.
    16x32 Concrete IG

12. Back To Top    #12

I did, I have mine on the wide beam setting. It is a nice option to have.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Brentr
    I upgraded to an intellibrite a couple years ago and used a regular wall switch to control light shows, however it was royal PIA to get the appropriate light show to display so I upgraded and bought the controller and we just love it. Even DW can change the light show without much hassle. Look at this link pentair-intellibrite-light-controller-t22422.html
    Hope this helps
    Can you set the Intellibrite led color lights to be on a timer with the Intellibrite controller? Or do I need to have something like the EasyTouch system? Thanks.
    24k gallon 16x38 IG shotcrete pool + 5x10 tanning shelf, Stonescapes Tropics Blue, Heat Siphon Z575HP Heat Pump (11.45 KW PV SunPower Solar), Pentair 3HP VS Pump 001018, Pentair SWG IC40, 2 Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 120v color LED pool lights, Pentair IntelliGlo 5G 12v color LED shallow water light w/300W transformer, Pentair DE FNS Plus 60sf filter, 24" rbb wall, 3.5-7' depth, TFT100 Test Kit, K1776 Salt Test kit, '07 Sundance Chelsee spa

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Angnjam
    Quote Originally Posted by Brentr
    Hope this helps
    Can you set the Intellibrite led color lights to be on a timer with the Intellibrite controller? Or do I need to have something like the EasyTouch system? Thanks.
    The Intellibrites remember the last setting, so you could hook them up to a timer circuit. I think it is pretty easy to set the light color or "show" mode using a standard light switch to toggle the modes. It might be a bit tricky with a timer, but doable.
    38K in ground pool with attached spa. Current equipment: Easytouch 8 (521150) with IC-60 SWCG with web control by Autelis, 1x Pentair IntelliFlo 011018 pump (for filter), 1x Pentair 2HP WhisperFlo pump (for waterfall), 2X Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 12V lights, Pentair MiniMax400 NG Heater, Pentair SMBW2060 DE filter. Zodiac Barracuda MX8 cleaner on dedicated cleaner line. Lighting/home automation controlled by Insteon/ISY-99i.

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

If you have the Intellibrite controller putting a timer on it won't work. To turn the controller on you must push the green button to turn them on. If you use an automation system you don't need the controller but then you can set the timer function on the automation.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics