Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Taking the Plunge! in Maryland

1. Back To Top    #1

Taking the Plunge! in Maryland

After years of hearing my wife bemoan for a pool in the summer heat we have decided to take the plunge. We started interviewing PB's in January to get an early start to the build so we could be open for swimming season here in the Northeast. We are well into the process now, however, after following other builds on this site I wanted to detail mine along with the challenges we have faced to this point.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    18'x36' IG Gunite Custom (Lazy River), Granite Sunstone quartz finish, 1.5hp Jandy ePump (Variable speed) with ePump remote, Jandy CS200 cartridge filter, Nature2 Fusion, and 18" stepped raised bond beam with 24" sheer descent.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Taking the Plunge! in Maryland

Nice!!! And congrats on taking the plunge
    18 X 54 Round-Wilbar-Sharkline Above Ground Tahitian
    Stainless steel access panel/ 1.5 hp pump
    Self Installed 6/09
    Crushed by Irene, and a 50ft oak 8/28/11
    Re installing 4/12 and up and running

3. Back To Top    #3

What part of MD?
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

XsAllOverIt, we are located in the Elkton/Fair Hill area of Maryland.

Here are some additional pics of the progress. After the initial dig things were moving very fast, they dug on Monday (March 5th) and completed rebar and plumbing on Wednesday of the same week. Steel and rough plumbing inspections were passed by the following Monday and the Gunite crew shot the pool the following Wednesday (March 14th). We watered the pool several times a day for 7 to 8 days to maximize the cure. We were excited considering we were hardly two weeks into the process and were already curing the shell.
    18'x36' IG Gunite Custom (Lazy River), Granite Sunstone quartz finish, 1.5hp Jandy ePump (Variable speed) with ePump remote, Jandy CS200 cartridge filter, Nature2 Fusion, and 18" stepped raised bond beam with 24" sheer descent.

5. Back To Top    #5

Looks real nice... Won't be too long.
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

I love that shape!
    22 x 36 In Ground Vinyl - 23K Gal - Saltwater - Tara Liner
    1hp 2-speed Hayward Super Pump, Hayward 6060 Booster Pump
    Hayward SwimClear C3030 Filter, Hayward 400Btu NG Heater
    Hayward Aqualogic PS-4, Polaris 280 Cleaner, ColorLogic 4.0 LED

7. Back To Top    #7

Hey dawg

I really like the fact that those trees are far away from the pool!

Everything's looking good and pls keep the pics and updates coming
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

I have been busy with work and trying to get tasks done around the pool and am just getting around to updating my build. It took us some time to get tile and coping completed and they ran out of tile the first day (somehow?) and had to finish their work on Easter Sunday. Additionally, after almost a month from the day we met with the stonemason we finally got the stonework on the raised bond beam completed and the sheer descent installed. Turns out they built the raised bond beam bigger than the plans, by almost double, and there were some delays as the stonemason and PB determined how to handle this issue. Well, we got twice the raised bond beam for the same money, only cost was the month delay.

9. Back To Top    #9

So after the tile and stone delays we have finally gotten concrete poured around the pool. You can also see my progress in building paver steps down from my existing patio to the pool area. I have been shoveling dirt, stone, dirt, more dirt, and finishing a fence in preparation for the plaster. The PB is coming out tomorrow to complete the pre-plaster inspection and we hope to plaster and fill late this week or early next week. I can see the light! I will post more pics of the project in the next few days.

10. Back To Top    #10

I bet your wife is so excited!!!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

11. Back To Top    #11

Your pool looks great and I love the shape (and the name of it)!
    We just finished our pool build in Central MD. Turned the heater on a couple of weeks ago and my kids have been swimming ever since. I am waiting for it to get a little warmer
    Good luck with your build. It is really moving along.
    Finished build 4/12/12 Central MD- IG Concrete 48x26 Lazy L
    35,000 gallons, 3.5'-8.5' with diving platform and sheer decent.

12. Back To Top    #12

Finally getting around to posting pics, we have been busy getting the pool and yard in shape. My PB plastered the pool on Mother's Day... made my wife very happy. The drawback was we had to fill the pool from our well until Monday when we could get water trucked in. On the bright side, I saved money on trucked water as we were able to fill about 2/3's of the pool from noon Sunday until mid-morning Monday. My PB came out on Thursday to startup the pool and could not figure out how to turn on my VS pump... I was at work so we had to reschedule. That evening I was able to start the pump after changing the dip switches on the pump to the correct setting. My PB came out the next morning, at my demand, and started up the pool. We have spent the time since then brushing the plaster and getting the chemicals in check. We received our Final approval last Friday and spent the entire Memorial Day weekend in the pool! We are loving it. We still have some landscaping work to do but here are some pics.

13. Back To Top    #13

here are more pics of the progress.

14. Back To Top    #14

I realized I never posted "completed" photos of my pool build. We have been enjoying it and while relaxing with an adult beverage in the pool I have already started planning how to hide the equipment pad and put in a bar... sounds like a plan for next spring!

15. Back To Top    #15

Looks great! The water color is awesome!
    Blaine

50' x 22' 27k gal shotcrete freeform, 2hp 2 sp Pentair Whisperflo, Pool Pilot RC-52 SWCG, Pentair TR 100 sand filter, Polaris 280, 2 Pentair Intellibrite LED lights with controller, french gray plaster, Butterfield U-20 "smoke"integral colored salt finish concrete cantilever deck on one side, flagstone coping on the other.

My pool build:
    osage-hills-pool-build-t50526.html

16. Back To Top    #16

In the Industry

What is a Bulldog like you doing in the NE!?! Just kidding. I love your pool.

Only advice is to make whatever you hide the pad with solid on the sides facing the pool and house. I hate listening to my pump run while I swim..

Go Bulldog!
    Science and Math Teacher
    Owner - SPS - part time pool biz
    18x36 IG Vinyl, 23000 Gallons with Jacuzzi (the bane of my existance) pumpworks
    Polaris 280 w/ PB4 booster

17. Back To Top    #17

That is a beautiful pool! I do agree with msumoose, I wish our pump wasn't in our main area. At least it is a variable speed & can be turned down during tv watching. Enjoy your pool.
    16k 17X33 IG Vinyl(2000), Pentair Intellifo Variable Speed Pump(2006), Hayward Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG w/T9 cell(repl 7/2011), Hayward Natl Gas Heater, TF100 w/magnetic stirrer

18. Back To Top    #18

msudawg: Looks great! Congrats!
    Would you mind sharing who you PB was? Any issues? PM me if you prefer.
    Thanks!
    19200gl rectangular gunite/diamondbrite perl pool || Coverpools auto cover || Jandy variable speed 2hp e-pump & Polaris PB4-60 booster pump || Polaris 3900 sport cleaner || Jandy CV filter || Jandy AqualinkRS8 w/Aqualink touch || Jandy iAqualink2.0 || Jandy Watercolors LED || Jandy AquaPure 1400 SWCG || Hayward auto chlorinator (backup) || Raypak 117k BTU heat pump