OLD STA-RITE Pantera Series Filter

Mar 28, 2012
London, ON CDN
Well I am getting ready to open my pool this season and I am a little worried about how much time is left on this older sand filter. According to the only place I have been able to even find a picture of this thing, the filter was dicontinued in 1988.

http://www.poolcenter.com/parts_filter_ ... antera.htm

[attachment=1:68qrvats]Filter.jpg[/attachment:68qrvats]

The pool was installed in 1986 (16x32 Inground) and is plumbed with 1 1/2 Poly Pipe from what I can tell. I purchased my house last August and took possesion of it this past November. When I did my home inspection the pool was crystal clear and all the equipment was running. The pum is a 3/4 HP Hayward replaced in 2009. I did notice a small drip comming out of the return line at the 90 degree elbow after the inline clorinator. I am assuming I can just cut out the section of pipe and use a coupler the replace the small section.

[attachment=0:68qrvats]Return.jpg[/attachment:68qrvats]

I circled the clamp with the small leak under it. So that was actually two questions, does anyone have any experience with this model of sand filter?

Thanks
Brad

Attachments

• Filter.jpg
    Filter.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 88
  • Return.jpg
    Return.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 88
Do the filter or multiport valve have any labels on them? That would help in IDing it. As long as it continues to work, there's no reason to replace it! It could last another 25 years.

Before I cut any of that pipe, I think I'd try removing the old clamp, cleaning it up a little, and reclamping it. You have a limited amount of pipe to work with, so I'd try not to cut it!

Filters can last a very long time, especially if they are not exposed to direct sunlight and not moved around or bumped too much. Usually all they need are fresh gaskets and springs for the multi-port valve every so many years.

Melt In The Sun said:
Do the filter or multiport valve have any labels on them? That would help in IDing it. As long as it continues to work, there's no reason to replace it! It could last another 25 years.

Before I cut any of that pipe, I think I'd try removing the old clamp, cleaning it up a little, and reclamping it. You have a limited amount of pipe to work with, so I'd try not to cut it!

Thanks for the replies. The link I provided above the first picture is the only parts listing and reference to this model that I have found on the web. After talking to a local pool company (the one that installed it back in 86) they told me that this filter was only made for just over a year due to a tendency to crack around the multiport valve flange where the bolts go through (sorry I am probably calling it the wrong name).

[attachment=0:1n6n3261]Flange.JPG[/attachment:1n6n3261]

In the picture it is the area where 11, 12 and 13 are pointing. I guess it was the Achilles’ heel of this model. And sure enough mine is starting to crack in this bolt flange area. It has not started to leak, but I can't help but worry at some point it will fail.

As for the leak in the return line the water is dripping out from under the clamp. So there is definately a very small hole in the Poly Pipe. I think I can just cut out the very small piece and use a connector to put it back together. The line between the pump and the filter also looks like it has started to swell a bit so maybe I should replace that while I am at it?

I couldn't help but notice you have a Hayward 325sq/ft Cartridge in your sig. Are you happy with that filter? I am thinking of going cartridge just for the simple fact that it offers more filtration with no water and chemical lost to back washing.

Attachments

• Flange.JPG
    Flange.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 71
So I have been looking into replacing this older sand filter with either a Pentair 320 or a Hayward C3030. I am probability going to go with the 325sq/ft Hayward based on price alone as both filters seem to be very similar in construction and function.

When I started the pump up this year (3/4 Hayward Max-Flo) there was a small and constant drip between the pump motor and the wet end. This would create a small puddle or damp spot under the pump over the course of about 3 hours. Lucky for me after three days of running the pump and thinking I was into a new seal, the leak stopped. I am assuming the seal reseated itself. It was replaced in 2009.

After talking to many different pool stores I have been told that I could down size from a 3/4 HP to 1/2 HP motor, thus saving money on electricity while still moving more water than my 3/4hp because of improved pump efficiency in the newer pumps? I guess I am wondering if this is really true regarding older 3/4 pumps vs. newer 1/2hp pumps. They have been recommending the 1/2hp Tri-Star or a 1/2hp Whisperflo. Just wondering what you guys think. My plumbing is 1 1/2 Poly and the pool is about 20 away from the pump. I have two returns, 1 main drain and a skimmer.

Brad

I just had to replace an OLD Jacuzzi filter because of the same "Achilles Heel" - the bolts that attach the multiport valve did not go all the way through, and got corroded so bad that I broke 3 of them trying to remove them. Then I broke 3 EZ Outs and a pair of Vice-Grips trying to remove the stubs of the broken bolts. Usually, on other valves, the bolts go all the way through and use a nut, so even if they do corrode together, you can cut them off and replace the bolts....

I would not remove that system until you have an issue that you cannot fix.

You could go with a 1/2 hp pump but if it were me, I'd consider a 3/4 hp 2-speed instead. It'll save you a good bit on electricity and you'll have a good strong flow for vacuuming, etc., if and when you need it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.