Filling pool soon!!!!

May 23, 2011
My 24' above ground pool is in the process of being put up and will be getting filled either today or tom. I already have the T-100 sample kit. I will sample my water when its filling. If I sample it and head to the pool calculator will this get me on the right foot? Would like to have good clear water asap. Any other suggestions?

Welcome to the forum. :lol: You are WAY ahead of the game by having your kit ready to go. My suggestion is that you test the water just as soon as you start the fill and then post those test results.

You will have minimal or no chlorine and no CYA so no need to test for that but please post pH, TA, and CH. If you haven't already prepare to purchase some CYA and liquid chlorine and get it in there just as soon as your pool is full. The pool calculator will help with the dosages (30-40 CYA and 3-4ppm chlorine).

Ok these numbers are from the little water that is in the pool maybe about a foot. Plumbing and pump is not hooked up yet so I didnt add anything, hopefully tom.

pH-7.0
TA-140
CH-250

I put those numbers into the pool calculator and got this is what it said I need to add. Let me know if it sounds right.

FC-add 112oz of 6% bleach
pH-add 123oz of borax
CH-add 20oz calcium chloride
CYA-add 187oz liquid stablizer

Does this sound right?
And will my samples change after pool is completely filled?

No need to add calcium in a vinyl pool.

Also, leave your pH alone as the Borax will also raise your TA and then it will be too high. Ph is ok at 7.0 for now.

FC is fine and Stabilizer is fine

Read the article in Pool School on how to lower TA. You may want to do that after your pool is filled and assuming your TA remains high.....it may come down a little.

Yeah, you can add the FC and the stabilizer one right after the other. Don't put the stabilizer on the pool floor. Put it in a sock in front of a return or put it in the skimmer...pump running

ok thanks alot duraleigh. I just talked to the installer and he said he wont be here tom. to finsih the filter and pump. So hopefully the water doesnt get to out of control in two days.
Also has any one heard of installing a bottom drain not exactly in the middle? Its about 2-3ft closer to the wall than in the middle. He told me it actually cleans better this way being when the pump is running and causes a whirlpool because not everything settles in the middle. Never heard of it but hes the installer not me so I guess Ill see what happens.

Hmmm. Not too many AG's have middle bottom drains but, since you do, I believe all dirt would tend to settle exactly in the middle and there are some posts on this forum to indicate that is true.

ok sorry for not posting in a few weeks. But heres my numbers. Pool has been crystal clear since I filled it about two weeks ago. Had CYA, Bleach, and TFP teskit on hand while it was filling.

pH-7.8
FC-5
CC-0
TC-5
T/A-130
CH-150
CYA-40

I think everything looks find and like I said the pool is crystal clear. I have been buying 182oz bottles and using about one a week to maintain around 3-5ppm. I think I will try to lower my T/A with the acid and making my fitting for the return to create bubbles. I will try to post pictures soon if I can figure it out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
duraleigh said:
Yeah, you can add the FC and the stabilizer one right after the other. Don't put the stabilizer on the pool floor. Put it in a sock in front of a return or put it in the skimmer...pump running

So you just put the recommended amount of CYA in a regular sock and hang it in front of the return jet?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.