Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: salt water ppm

1. Back To Top    #1

salt water ppm

Hey yall complete newby here when it comes to pools we had a few small pools before but never realy worried about the chemicals just added chlorine tabs and shock when it went green lol ,we just got a 22x52 above ground pool i finished filling it last monday and not put any chemicals i there yet ,i got a swg tonight and 7 40lb bags of salt it saiz in the instructions to addaround 250lbs for the 10,000 gallons of water now my question is ive read i need around 3500 ppm but what is 3500 ppm i understand its parts per million but is it of salt or chlorine and what do i use to test it ive got the test kit that came with the pool and the swg but i cant find any thing that tests up that high or am i completely missing something please help
    660k Plaster Indoor

2. Back To Top    #2
    Baton Rouge, LA

Re: salt water ppm

(DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

3. Back To Top    #3

Sweet so I'm not crazy lol thank you so much il run out to the pool shop tommorrow and grab me some I put 4 bags of salt in the pool as a start Gunna let it run for 24hrs and test tommorrow night
    660k Plaster Indoor

4. Back To Top    #4
    Cincinnati, OH

Sounds like you're on your way.
    And you said it, add salt slowly and let it mix in for at least 24 hours before testing and adding more salt. Just like other things you can overshoot it if not given enough time to mix in.

IG 17x33 Grecian - Vinyl Liner (21k gallons), Hayward Pro-Grid DE 4820 filter, Hayward Super Pump, CompuPool SWG CPSC36, TF-100 Test Kit