Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about running pump when valves cut off

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about running pump when valves cut off

Asking a question for a friend (elderly gentleman and neighbor) who had some recent pool work done. He had a new liner put in by a pool company. They left when the pool was filling with water. According to my friend, they told him to just turn on the pump when the water level got up to skimmer level and they would come back and check the liner later. However, they forgot to tell him they left the valves in the closed position. I'm not sure he even knew he had valves (he hires someone to care for his pool). He did what they told him to do and just flipped the switch. The pump ran for 10-15 minutes or so with no water before he turned it off. I think it actually ran longer. He called me over and I discovered the valves were cut off. I turned them on, primed the pump and it seem to run fine.

So, now he's worried about damage to his pump. He's also worried about damage to the plumbing (pulling on empty pipes, I guess). I told him the sch 40 pvc would not be hurt......I was not sure about the pump. I told him I would ask some pool experts.

Any opinions....thanks, jed

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about running pump when valves cut off

Only way pipes would be damaged would be heat warping near the pump if it was run dry for a LONG time. Sounds like this was not on long enough to do damage to the plumbing or pump. No worries.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Question about running pump when valves cut off

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Only way pipes would be damaged would be heat warping near the pump if it was run dry for a LONG time. Sounds like this was not on long enough to do damage to the plumbing or pump. No worries.
    Thanks. I'll let him know tomor over a cold one. Although it was probably his fault for not checking the valves, he gave the pool man a few choice words when he returned the next day.