Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Mojitos

1. Back To Top    #1
    Missouri City (suburb of Houston, TX)

Anyone ever have a mojito? I know they've been around forever but are gaining popularity again. I had one for the first time the other day and would have to put it right up there with the margarita. It's has a very clean, refreshing taste.

Here's the recipe I used:

3 fresh mint sprigs
    2 tsp simple sugar, or to taste (aka simple syrup)
    3 tbsp fresh lime juice (I use half a squeezed lime, and leave lime in glass)
    1 1/2 oz light rum
    club soda

In a tall thin glass, crush part of the mint with a spoon to release the mint oil. Add the sugar and lime juice and stir thoroughly. Top with ice. Add rum and mix. Top off with *chilled* club soda. Add a lemon slice and the remaining mint, and serve.
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

2. Back To Top    #2

Murfreesboro, TN

i agree it's a great drink.

we use bacardi limon rum. you gotta muddle...........

The Miami (Mojito with Simple Syrup)

Somewhere between guarapo and granulated sugar, lies simple syrup. Simple syrup is essentially “sugar water” made by dissolving sugar in boiling water. Simple syrup yields more volume than sugar alone, yet it is lighter than the guarapo-based mojito. Simple syrup also makes the mojito with the smoothest texture, as the sugar particles have already been dissolved before assembling the mojito. Simple syrup is very sweet – so for those seeking very sweet drinks, this is a good choice for making the mojito.

½ lime, quartered

5-6 fresh mint leaves
    Crushed Ice
    2 ounces White/light rum

1 ounce simple syrup*

2 drops bitters

3 ounces Club Soda

* Simple Sugar Syrup:

1 cup water

1 cup sugar

Bring water and sugar to a low boil and cook for 2-3 minutes until sugar dissolves. Water will appear slightly cloudy, but will become clear as it cools. Cool to room temperature. Store in the refrigerator in a squeeze bottle or airtight container. If properly sealed, the syrup will keep up to 2 weeks. One batch will make about 12 mojitos.

Muddle lime and mint in the bottom of a tall glass. Add light rum, simple syrup, and bitters. Fill the glass to the top with ice. Top with club soda. Cover the glass with a shaker tin or transfer the mixture to a shaker and shake for 5-6 seconds. Garnish with lime wedge, mint sprig, and sugar cane swizzle stick.
    Cal C.

22k ig vl, hayward 2sp northstar, hayward pro series sand filter, aqua logic ps-8 wireless controls with swg, hayward (eus) heat pump, polaris 280 cleaner.

3. Back To Top    #3

can't say that I have.....but I will imbibe in most any drink at least once....
    36k, 23'x47' freeform 3.5'-9'deep
    Gunite/white plaster
    Colorlogic LED lights.