I need pool pump help... repair or replace? What brand?

Apr 25, 2012
I'm fairly new at this, so just go with me if I'm not sure what some of this stuff is called. I've done a little research online, so that helps a bit...

Pool stats:
~15,000 gallons.
-2 skimmers
-3 returns (one functions as a line for an auto pool vacuum)
-2 drains
~41 Average Feet of Head (from my very elementary calculations).... this was a stat I read about on a website... said I needed it to pick out a pump.

Issue:
-My pump has a leak in the bottom of it... the previous owners attempted to repair it with putty. It's still leaking.

Pool guy looked at it and suggested that we just replace it because it's kind of old. It's a waterway Mustang 1HP pump. He also said that I could just buy the wet end of that pump and replace that, but that the motor sounded like it was whining a little bit anyway... I found that piece (the wet end) online for $250 (shipped).

However, I also found this pump (Pentair 1.5 HP) on Amazon for $300.

So, should I replace the wet end of the pump or buy a new one?

Also, is Pentair a reliable brand? And on this site from what I read in the Pool Pump FAQ, I think I only need like a 3/4 HP pump. The pool guy said he always recommends 1.5HP and I know it could just be a sales tactic, but I've currently got a 1HP and I don't want to make it run less efficiently.

TLDR;
Pool pump leaks.
Buy new ($300) or repair ($250)?
If buy new, buy Pentair?
How many HP? 1? 1.5? 3/4?

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

Welcome to TFP!

I would replace it, especially since it has had repair attempts already and these are failing.

Pentair makes excellent pumps and a 3/4 HP two speed pump sounds like it would be the ticket for you. Most builders will put in a pump that is way too big for what is needed and it ends up costing more in electricity over the long run. Now is your chance to make a dent in the electric bill. :goodjob:

Pentair is a great brand for pumps ... I am getting one myself soon.

Have you considered a 2-speed pump to save electricity when you do not need high water flow (like for your cleaner).

The Pentair Superflo had 2-speed versions. If you currently have a 1HP (what is the service factor on it?) and it seems fine, I see no reason to go bigger.

I would recommend the 3/4HP or the 1HP 2-speed Superflo ... depending if you are currently wired for 120 or 240V power at the pump.

jblizzle said:
Pentair is a great brand for pumps ... I am getting one myself soon.

Have you considered a 2-speed pump to save electricity when you do not need high water flow (like for your cleaner).

The Pentair Superflo had 2-speed versions. If you currently have a 1HP (what is the service factor on it?) and it seems fine, I see no reason to go bigger.

I would recommend the 3/4HP or the 1HP 2-speed Superflo ... depending if you are currently wired for 120 or 240V power at the pump.
I agree 100% :goodjob:

Thanks, everyone! I will probably be using this site frequently as I'm a new pool owner.

Would you guys look at this pump?
http://www.amazon.com/Pentair-340204-St ... 214&sr=1-4

First thing to notice, is that if I change to 3/4 HP, the price is $260, but it's $217 at 1HP. Does that seem weird?

Also, it doesn't come with a cord.... is that bad news?

Does it look like a good pump?

The reason I ask about this pump, is because I'm on a really tight budget since there are a few other repairs to make to the pool. I'm trying to stay fairly low on the pump... like $250 or under.

If you don't like that one, any suggestions for a cheap pump? I'll try to take a look at my breaker later on to see if it's a 110 or a 220. I think it's a 110... so go with that for now.

Hold on. Is your pool in ground or above ground?

I think the Dynamos are for above ground pools and will not work well for in ground applications ... stick with the Superflo.

JustinSummerlin said:
I'm trying to stay fairly low on the pump... like $250 or under.

Just saw this piece ... going to be pretty hard to stay under $250 for a 2-speed I am afraid.
The best I have seen for a 1HP Superflo 2-speed is $400 ... the 3/4HP might be slightly less.
For reference the single speed equivalent to the 1HP 2-speed is about $300 ... so it is $100 to add the 2-speed option in this case, but the power savings could easily make up for that in under a year.

You can get the single speed 3/4HP Superflo for about $275

To be perfectly honest - there is no reason that Dynamo couldn't work for your pool - even if it is an inground pool. The big factor on pumps for an inground pool is that the pump usually must lift the water some, as the pump is usually above water level. That Dynamo IS rated to lift up to 4-8 feet, so you shouldn't have a problem there. You will need to figure out how you control the speed of the pump if you get a 2 speed.

Just for some background - Last summer, when my old Hayward 1.5 HP single speed Superpump died, I used a 3/4 HP Hayward Powerflo II (this pump is very similar to that Dynamo you're considering) for 2 weeks while I was waiting for my current pump. It worked just fine, even though I didn't have a strainer assembly for it at the time (I left the pump running 24 hours / day, but I could have gotten by with just 12 hours).

I'd really be more concerned if your old pump is 240 V or 120V and whether you have 2 wires and ground or 3 wires and ground. It's easy enough to rewire the 240 V down to 120V (just replace the dual pole breaker with a single, and connect the white (non-black) wire to the neutral bar ). If you have 3 wires + ground - it will make it easy to wire in a controller that will auto-change speeds.

Good luck.

scooperhsd said:
To be perfectly honest - there is no reason that Dynamo couldn't work for your pool - even if it is an inground pool. The big factor on pumps for an inground pool is that the pump usually must lift the water some, as the pump is usually above water level. That Dynamo IS rated to lift up to 4-8 feet, so you shouldn't have a problem there. You will need to figure out how you control the speed of the pump if you get a 2 speed.

Just for some background - Last summer, when my old Hayward 1.5 HP single speed Superpump died, I used a 3/4 HP Hayward Powerflo II (this pump is very similar to that Dynamo you're considering) for 2 weeks while I was waiting for my current pump. It worked just fine, even though I didn't have a strainer assembly for it at the time (I left the pump running 24 hours / day, but I could have gotten by with just 12 hours).

I'd really be more concerned if your old pump is 240 V or 120V and whether you have 2 wires and ground or 3 wires and ground. It's easy enough to rewire the 240 V down to 120V (just replace the dual pole breaker with a single, and connect the white (non-black) wire to the neutral bar ). If you have 3 wires + ground - it will make it easy to wire in a controller that will auto-change speeds.

Good luck.
Thanks for the response! The fuse is a 110, fyi.

3 things:
1. I don't mean to be rude... inevitably it will probably come out that way, but you and the other guy (jblizzle) are saying dissimilar things. He didn't technically say that I couldn't use the Dynamo, but he said it wouldn't work well with in-ground applications. You say otherwise. How do I know who to trust? Especially since I'm new here.

2. What does the dynamo mean when it says "without cord". Where do I get a cord? Or is it just talking about the power cables coming from my fuse box that I already have and can just be wired into it?

3. My sand filter has a broken part in it (quoted $150 from the pool guy) plus he said that I might as well replace the sand in it since I'm going to have it open (quoted $250). So, I'm already paying $400 for all of that, PLUS the pool pump... probably going to end up paying around $650-$700 total. This may be a dumb question, but could I get off cheaper if I just replaced both with some kind of combo (filter + pump)? I saw a filter + pump deal for like $449, but I'm pretty sure it was for an above ground pool... or maybe it was too small for my pool.... either way, it seemed too good to be true which usually means it is.

Thanks!
Justin

PS. Sorry if I'm overwhelming you guys with questions. I'm really anxious to find the right thing to do and do it quick so that my pool won't turn into a swamp while the filter's busted.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No hard feelings :)

What I have read is that above ground pumps are designed for low head loss applications since the are usually right by the pool. In ground pumps are designed for high head loss applications since the equipment is further from the pool through more pipe and fittings.

If you have low head loss, it might work for you. But I have seen true experts here say that you can use in ground equipment on any pool but not to use above ground pumps for in ground applications.

That is what I have learned here to be safe. PM Mark mas985 if you want a definitive answer.

The missing cord is just the power cord you will have to add.

The combos are probably just too small for your pool ... but I am not sure.

Also there is probably no need to replace your sand unless you are having to remove it anyway.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

jblizzle said:
No hard feelings :)

What I have read is that above ground pumps are designed for low head loss applications since the are usually right by the pool. In ground pumps are designed for high head loss applications since the equipment is further from the pool through more pipe and fittings.

If you have low head loss, it might work for you. But I have seen true experts here say that you can use in ground equipment on any pool but not to use above ground pumps for in ground applications.

That is what I have learned here to be safe. PM Mark mas985 if you want a definitive answer.

The missing cord is just the power cord you will have to add.

The combos are probably just too small for your pool ... but I am not sure.

Also there is probably no need to replace your sand unless you are having to remove it anyway.

Thanks for the response.

I don't want to discount what the other guy said (scooperhsd), but I'll probably just stick with an in-ground pump just to be safe... since I'm new to this and I don't know the information myself.

If I buy a 2-speed pump, does it need a special switch wired in or will it have one built in?

I might just tell the pool guy to just replace the part that's broken and replenish what sand is missing but not replace the sand (there was sand getting into the pool through a return line, so I'm assuming it came out of the filter and will need to be replaced).

Thanks for all your help.

Some have switches built in. Others you have to either wire in a switch or add a timer to control the speeds.

There is a current thread discussing how to wire in a switch.

The nice thing is that there is usually more than one answer that will work. If you were doing a solar with the pool - (high head) - yes , an inground pump would be the way to go.

If I would have been reading here more before I got my new pump - I possibly would have just gotten the strainer assembly and called it good. Or, I probably would have gotten a 3/4 or 1 HP model of the pump I did get (maybe even 2 speed). I haven't seen too many inground 2 speeds that could run on 120 (most are 240), so that may be a consideration as well.

BTW - we aren't looking at this as competition - we both just have your best interest in mind to have a pleasant pool experiance and we're posting different options.

scooperhsd said:
BTW - we aren't looking at this as competition - we both just have your best interest in mind to have a pleasant pool experiance and we're posting different options.

I know you aren't, but I have to figure out which is best for me and I had two opposing viewpoints. I just needed to clarify.

Also, THANKS for all your help. I really do appreciate all of the opinions and suggestions. I just got on this board and I've gotten so much help already.

Also, jblizzle, thanks for the info on the switch. I'm debating whether I want to spring for the 2-speed.... I know it will save me money in the long run, but it's the upfront cost that makes it less attractive right now.

JustinSummerlin said:
Just to verify, does this look like a good pump to everyone here?
http://www.amazon.com/Pentair-340038-Si ... B000N52ZVO

This is the one I'm considering. I'm getting the 1HP because I remembered that I have a slide that needs water... so it might need the extra oomph. Besides, I currently have a 1HP and I'm scared to go lower. Lol.
Well, I pulled the trigger on that pump. I hope it was okay. I signed up for a free trial of Amazon Prime so I could get free 2-day shipping. It will be here on Saturday. Yay!

ok Justin - you should have gotten your new pump today. Most pumps that are dual voltage are usually wired as 240V from the factory, and you have already said that you are using 120V. Just read the manual and hook it up correctly.

While you are at it - you should strongly consider having GFCI protection in there some way.

scooperhsd said:
ok Justin - you should have gotten your new pump today. Most pumps that are dual voltage are usually wired as 240V from the factory, and you have already said that you are using 120V. Just read the manual and hook it up correctly.

While you are at it - you should strongly consider having GFCI protection in there some way.
I did! Surprisingly enough, the pump came in today even though it wasn't supposed to be here until Saturday....

Anyway, I'm going to be installing it tomorrow. My dad's coming over (he's a handyman). We've got to run some new return lines to the pool (temporary ones) and install the pump.

Since you're here, I have another question. I attached a file that shows my pool layout.

[attachment=0:1237etr9]pool-layout.jpg[/attachment:1237etr9]

The green boxes are the returns. The red boxes are the skimmers.

As a precursor to what I'm about to tell you, keep in mind that the pool wasn't properly winterized a year ago by the previous owners.

The two outside returns don't work (because they're clogged with sand from the broken filter that's being repaired this next week). The middle return works, but we think it's cracked under the concrete. So, rather than pay $1,000 for the pool guys to repair all of that under our concrete, we're opting to run some temporary PVC return lines over the top of the ground and down into the pool. Our pool guy suggested that we do this if we didn't want to spend that kind of money for repairs right now. My question, though, is where I should put these returns. It seems to me that the placement of the current returns is perfect because it blows into the skimmers. It seems like that's good but I don't know if it's intentional or not. In either case, I don't want to put the temp returns there because it will put the pipes running across the patio in a place that I'm not too fond of.

So, what I'm thinking is putting returns at the LEFT side of that image blowing down the length of the pool. Would that be bad for the skimmers? Should I just suck it up and put the returns where the old ones are?

It wouldn't be the worst thing ever if I put them where the current returns are, but I was just wondering if it mattered.

Thanks!

Attachments

• pool-layout.jpg
    pool-layout.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 179

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.