Add sequestriant?

ABQ_Pool

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 31, 2011
Chandler, AZ
My pool builder opened our pool about a month ago. As the pool was built late last summer, its the first opening we've had. Pool builder says he typically adds sequestriant when he opens his pools. Well when he came out last month, he didn't have the sequestriant with him and said he would drop it by the house. I figured it couldn't hurt to add it when I received it. Cut to today, where I have everything fairly well dialed in (I have a SWG):
FC 5
pH 7.6
TA 80
Calcium 240
CYA 40 (still adding...)
Borates ~4
Salt ~3600

My question is: should I add the sequestriant to the pool? I have a plaster pool, we use city water and I don't believe it contains a big amount of metal content (I've scanned the Albuquerque Water Authority reports at http://www.abcwua.org/content/view/564/841/). Any downsides?

Thanks!

Given that you have no sign of metals and the plaster is more than a month old there is no reason to add sequestrant. On the other hand the only down side is that the sequestrant will use up a little chlorine (how much varies by brand, but never more than one days worth and usually quite a bit less).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.