Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leak in above ground pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Leak in above ground pool

I have noticed a gash/slit (about 5 inches long) in the bottom of the pool near side. It looks like the metal strap that runs under the pool has rubbed against the liner. The slit is right on the edge of the metal strap.

The sand in the area (couple feet) under the slit is washed out. I've also noticed that the cove is washed out in areas.

The pool store guy is coming out in the morning. I just bought the pool last summer.

Is this the type of thing that can be fixed with a patch or should I be pushing for a new liner. It seems to me that the pool installer must have done something wrong on the install.
    18'x45'x52"" AG Pool. (22,200 gals)
    Pentair Sand Dollar Sand Filter SD-60
    1.5 hp pump
    CompuPool Saltwater Chlorinator 26K Gallon CPSC24
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Leak in above ground pool

If this was caused by something the installer did wrong I would definitely push for a new liner. I wouldn't want a patch that large on a pool thats only a year old.
    AG 18' X 52" Round Pacifica Pool w/ Metal Diamond Unibead Liner. Installed in March 2007.
    2.5 HP Baquapure 2 Speed Pump, 200 GPM Waterway ProClean Cartridge Filter System.

Former Baquacil user
    Converted to BBB in Fall of 2009 - Now I have a truly trouble free pool!

3. Back To Top    #3

If it is from the metal bands then I think the pool installer should fix it, preferably with a new liner. Is your pool in an area that sees drainage pass through it. Your sand should not be washing out.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

The pool is at the bottom of a small hill. However, I have installed field tile around the pool in case I got any drainage. Is there a better to protect the pool for outside water?
    18'x45'x52"" AG Pool. (22,200 gals)
    Pentair Sand Dollar Sand Filter SD-60
    1.5 hp pump
    CompuPool Saltwater Chlorinator 26K Gallon CPSC24
    TF-100 Test Kit