SWG and turnover times

Mar 18, 2008
What recommendations are there for minimum turnover amounts when running a SWG. If I am turning my 25000 gal pool one to 1.5 times per day...will that be sufficient flow for the SWG to convert the NaCl?

If not, how do I calculate?

A general guideline is to turn your entire pool in 8-12 hours...regardless if it's a salt pool or not.

In theory, your a little less than that. You could simply turn up the percentage of your SWG but I think you'd be better served to run your pump a little longer. There's no really hard-set rule that demands a certain flow, but 2-3 turns daily is a well-accepted guideline.

It depends on the size of the SWG compared to the size of the pool. Usually you leave the pump running however long you have always run the pump and then adjust the percentage on the SWG till the FC level comes out the way you want. If it turns out that the SWG needs to be on more than 100% then you need to increase the pump run time, but that is very rare for an appropriately sized SWG.

I am really confused by all of this.

If I use an appropriately sized one speed pump at 3/4 to 1 hp (probably closer to I hp) with a 50 - 60 g/hr flow, then I am looking at much higher electrical consumption. So, many people with cycle their pool with a timer. However, I live in NE Ohio and really need to run 24/7 (except maybe late July/early August) in order to maintain my water temperature. We only use a liquid blanket (I know, I know but that is a WHOLE another story).

So, I was interested in a two speed pump...but...on the low setting it seems that I may not have adequate turnover if used with a SWG to maintain an appropriate chlorine level. I would definitely consider adding some bleach as needed if that would help.

So, can the lower flow of a two speed pump provide adequate flow with a SWG to chlorinate the pool?

I think you are mixing up terms a little. A turnover is pumping the same number of gallons as there are in the pool. Typically you design the system for two to three turnovers a day if the pump is run on high speed for all 24 hours. Typically the pump isn't actually run that long, it is only run 8 to 12 hours a day, so 2/3rds to 1.5 turnovers per day actual.

The SWG on the other hand requires a minimum flow rate and a minimum number of hours per day, but it doesn't really care how that works out in turnovers. A SWG might require something around a minimum of 20 GPM. It may also require a minimum pump run time of four to six hours, though that varies more depending on the relative size of the SWG compared to the pool. A pool heater has the same issues, a minimum flow rate and a minimum number of hours per day of pump run time.

The flow rate depends on the size of the pump, which speed you are running it on, and numerous details of the plumbing. Even on low speed many, but not all, two speed systems will get at least 20 GPM. Figuring that out is possible but can get a little tricky unless you have a flow meter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.