Introduction

jbrown

Jul 31, 2011
Hi everyone. I have watched this site for about a year, and joined a little while back but haven't posted that I am aware of. I read the pool school stuff (likely will re-read as time permits) and also read the BBB threads. Good stuff in there.

So I bought a house back in September with this pool that I used for a couple of months, and then covered it for the winter (something I won't be doing going forward) and like to think I learned a thing or two. It's 10 years old, appears to be chlorinated exclusively with tri-chlor pucks in the stack from the previous owners, and I did see a number of chemicals, spot remover and clarifyer etc. There is an absolutely worthless built in cleaning system that I will post about later when I have time to look at the paperwork (PCC 2000 I think, but don't quote me) that seems to just blow debris around the bottom of the pool and act as a parasite stealing pressure from my skimmers, but I digress. I opened a couple of weeks ago to a green sea, and followed the shock procedures I found on this site using household bleach from Wal-Mart. Green to grey to clear. Not bad at all. Some slight clouding, but I added acid yesterday because the PH was high, and tends to be rather high based on the results from the cheap test kit I have been using. A good kit is on my to do list. Anyways, I grabbed a sample to take to Leslie's just to see where I stand. Note, I let my TC come down a little because I wanted to get an accurate PH reading. Here goes:

FC 3
TC 3 (although they said .2 difference. One would thing that would mean the numbers should be offset)
CH 300
CA 40
TA 110
PH 7.6
Phosphates 300

Now, I really wish they could test for borates since I did add about 6 oxes of 20 mule team back when I first bought the house, before I was ready to measure how much that was, but again I digress. The water analysis report gives me instructions about this great enzyme stuff I can put in my pool that is apparently combined with another great enzyme that will clarify the water thats really not that cloudy for the sale price of $49.97 in a little laundry detergent looking container. I passed on the stuff but bought some acid and a pool toy for my son to make the guy feel good. Went home and put some bleach in the pool.

I will eventually post some pics but in the meanwhile, any input or greetings are most welcome.

Welcome to the forum. :lol: Those numbers look pretty good. .2ppm precision on FC is really not too important so that's probably why they rounded it.

I would only worry about borates a week or so from now after you have everything stable. I have never used them so I consider them as completely optional but others like them.

How does your water look?

Thanks duraleigh! Water looks good, but not 100% crystal clear. I would say there is some leftover dead algae and Crud that blew in over the last 48 hours. The wind never stops blowing in TX and these Texans love their trees. I am going out with the net in about an hour. I should add, I just replaced all 4 of the cartridges in the filter last week. The ones I pulled out looked original (rubber was rotting and they weighed a ton, with deposits covering every visible inch). What is interesting is that the filter comes in a few different models, and the #'s are based on SF of the actual filter media. The housing is stamped with 320 but the cartridges I removed were for the 500 (520, not sure off the top of my head, but over 500) model. Not sure if the previous owner used the wrong cartridge or the stamp is wrong, but the 320's are working just fine.

Lets see if these pics work

2012-04-27_09-19-14_48.jpg

blurry.jpg

ui2ik5c32a2cb45viewattth136f436e538.jpg

ui2ik5c32a2cb45viewattth136f436e538-1.jpg

ui2ik5c32a2cb45viewattth136f436e538-2.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks guys. The pump is a never ending battle with my wife. No sooner does it go on than she asks if we really need it. Electricity rates are pretty high where I live, although the reduced AC usage from swim time should offset it. Anyways, I got this clear by running it about 6 hours a day for a couple of weeks. I would love to see it after a 48 hours continuous.

This is a battle that will take time to win. Going to test the water. On that note, and regarding FC, the geniuses at Leslie's say to run the pump during the day when you need it most. Personally I haven't seen much of a FC drop even in 85 degrees and full sun. My contention though, aside from it being cheaper to run the pump after 9 PM is that the chlorine would be better able to ....well, chlorinate at night if it isn't being degraded. What are the collective thoughts here at TFP?

Well, I think if you read through the site you'll see that testimonials are proof enough that it works and in the long run it will be way cheaper than the "Pool Store" way. Testing yourself and staying away from the pool store will be key! You'll find that most stores don't really understand water chemistry and all there trying to do is sell you more junk! Running at night is ok if you rates are cheaper but the sun is what's going to eat your CL during the day. It also looks like you have got algae in your pool which is also consuming CL.

Well, it appears I will be unable to perform this test immediately. I have OTO test and have been taking my water to the store to confirm results. So a good kit now needs to be at the top of my list.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.