How do you pour a block pool footer???

Apr 14, 2012
This year i will be putting a block pool in and i was just wondering how you would go about pouring the footer for the block, if i would have to stair step it, or just keep it all the same height on grade and use fill dirt to get my slope? i have heard to pour the floor first, but i cant see doing this as the whole bottom course of block would have to be cut down which i do not think is a good idea.i have also heard to pour the floor and wet set the first course but i have poured a lot of footers and this is a daunting task. i am knowledgable in concrete but i know nothin about the proper way to go about it for a pool any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.....thanks

Here are some photos of a 13 x 26 foot pool with spa. 3.5 in the shallow to 5.5 in the deep with a steady gradient.
1/2" and 3/4" rebar matrix, with polyethylene below and a 9" of 3500-4000 psi concrete base.
These were 8" concrete blocks, reinforced and filled. Some people place the first course of bricks on a mortar bed. While that may work,
the better practice would be to use a "water stop" (google will give you plenty hits).

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• blockpool3.jpg
    blockpool3.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 294
  • blockpool5.jpg
    blockpool5.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 294
  • blockpool6.jpg
    blockpool6.jpg
    361.1 KB · Views: 293
Yes the corners are rounded, I would guess say a 1' radius. The blocks were at 90 just as your build, and then with both the mortar plaster, and then the diamondbrite plater, the radius was built in.

I like the unusual look of your deck. Looks good.

openpool,

That's a very nice pool. Aesthetically VERY easy to look at! My tile turned out just a little more slippery than I thought it would. I would choose something "gripier" next time.

(sorry, meatball, I got sidetracked)

Thanks Dave.

Coincidentally, after sealing, I also found our deck felt too slippery. I found a product that is essentially transparent little grains that can be mixed into the sealant. With this, more traction can be attained.

</hijack>

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They look really good. One more question before I surrender the post back to meatball224 :)

Does a stone/landscape supply carry these, or was is custom through a PB?

We are finalizing our pool now and trying to find avenues for large, bullnose blocks/pavers for the coping.

openpool i will be doing something simular i will be putting two #5 rebar in my footer but did you buid the footer to all the same grade or did you stair step it down to allow the slope. im thinking of just building a simple box and using my fill dirt to acheive my slope. i will be going from 4 foot to eight foot so i was just wondering if doing this slope would affect my finished slab with the fill under it?? i will be putting and underground room at one end with that wall being poured solid i have posted a pic of my plan

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 204
meatball,

Are you doing a concrete pool with a plaster finish (a la openpool's) or are you using a vinyl liner like Dave did? I would think it if it were a viny liner, it would be fine to pour a level footer and build a 4 foot high box all the way around. Then dig out the bottom in a standard hopper fashion and complete the bottom with vermiculite. Steel/polymer panels are typically only 3.5-4 foot high so I don't see why you couldn't do the same with concrete block. If you're planning a plaster finish, however, I don't believe that would work as you would want a solid shell of a pool, as opposed to separate walls/floor.

Meatball, as for me, no it was not stair stepped as you see in duraleigh's journal. The top of the footer was at the same grade of floor, the bottom extending deeper than the poured concrete base. The corners were poured along with the tops of the walls into a beam up to the finished height under the coping.

While you mention your depths but not the pool length I can't say how your gradient compares to mine.

With the underwater room design, I'm thinking vinyl is certainly ruled out. Where is the proposed entry/exit point?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.