How to add CYA without skimmers

Apr 5, 2011
Springfield, MO
Pool company had to touch up plaster. Required drain and refill. As such, water with no CYA.

Idiot pool contractor did not have tools to "unlock" skimmers when they opened the pool. Pool is opened. Pump and main drains work. But skimmers do not work yet.

CYA level currently zero. Chlorine level dropped to 0. I shocked pool, kept Chlorine level at 15 (given CYA level of zero). Kept auto cover closed. Overnight, no FC drop x 2 nights.

Today, I added salt and had planned on getting auto chlorinator up and running again. Checked FC level this evening, now zero again. Water is clear.

My questions:
1) I assume we do not have algae currently as FC was at 15 for two days without significant drop overnight. Given CYA level of zero, could sun have dropped chlorine from 15 to zero in a day?
2) How can I add CYA? Per pool school, this should ideally be done in the skimmer basket. But skimmers currently off. Last year I think I read that you can put CYA in a sock and place in front of a return. In my scenario, can I do this and at least get some CYA in the pool? Or is another method preferred?

Thanks.
Chad

1)Yes. With CYA at zero the FC level will fall to zero in about half of a sunny a day. With CYA at zero, you shouldn't raise the FC level up to 15. Adding 2 ppm of chlorine each evening (until you have CYA) is plenty.

2)The sock method is a good approach. Given you don't have working skimmers that seems like the best way to go.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.