Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 1st Test Results, cover still on. Now what?

1. Back To Top    #1

1st Test Results, cover still on. Now what?

Well, I can;t wait to get started!!!

Last year we finally closed with the BBB method, now the weather is getting warmer and I want to get going on the pool. We are in Tennessee & I'm sure that there will be one more freeze for a day or two, plus I would like to wait for the oak seeds to get out of the way before taking the cover off.

But I just had to test the water in order to know what's going on underneath.

Our pool is 15 x 30 AG
    Here are the readings
    Temperature: 60
    0 FC
    .5 TC
    .5 CC
    7.8 PH
    180 ALK
    200 - 210 CH
    0 CYA

We still have to get sand for our filter. It was dumped out after the baquacil conversion.
    Can I put a floater with some 3" pucks under the water to keep it from starting to turn green?
    Or do I need to get the sand & start the pump right away?

Thanks for taking the time to help.
    12500 AGP 2HP Sand filter
    Five years on BBB & loving it!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD
    With the water getting up around 60 degrees it might be good to put a floater in. You want to tie it off somehow so that it sits near the center of the pool. If it gets too close to a wall it might concentrate the chlorine too much given that the pump is off. Your PH and alkalinity are both high and CYA is low so adding some trichlor (used in floaters) is just about ideal for now.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida
    You and Jason are on the same page and I'm with you both. Some trichlor pucks for now and then, when the cover comes off, circulate and retest. You have a good grasp of your pool water chemistry and are in for a summer of clear water!! Nice work!
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    Thank you both.
    12500 AGP 2HP Sand filter
    Five years on BBB & loving it!