newbie!!

Apr 24, 2012
Hey guys, I know I'm new,but I have been doing my homework here. Bought test kit, read pool school etc.. We have a 16000 gal above ground pool. We have had it for a few years. Trying to learn to keep levels better. We have decided to try a swg. I am currently filling the pool. I did some basic test on fill water. tc .of 0 ph 7.2. That is all I have done so far. Here is my first question. Will someone please tell me the best steps of treatment in order. I have read on here to shock pool using "shock". This will add cya and fc.I have also read in the swg balance section that you can add salt immediately while balancing other levels. GRRR will someone plz give me a basic order to start with? We are desperate. It is over an hour to nearest pool store. I have to get better at this. P.s. we have a sand filter and I cannot find the horsepower of the motor anywhere on it. I will double check. Also this is the swg that i have installed
CompuPool Salt Chlorine Generator 20K Gallons. I have installed it but I have not turned it on at all because Im under the impression that I need to start by balancing pool before i add salt and turn it on. Thank you in advance.

Welcome to the forum!

What test kit did you purchase? If you have made your way through this forum, you will know that most of us recommend TF-100 (from TFTestKits.net). It would be helpful if you report your full test results - then we can tell you the proper steps to take.

You will want to get your pool to the levels within these recommended levels: pool-school/recommended_levels

:wave: Welcome :wave:

As Blake said a full set of tests on your fill water (no need to do the CYA) would be helpful ... hopefully you got one the good test kits as recommended in my signature.

The most important things to adjust first are pH (which seems fine from your fill water) and getting some FC in the pool. To protect the FC from the sun you need CYA in the pool. You could use a di-chlor or tri-chlor product to add FC and CYA, but it seems to be easiest to get appropriate dosages by adding the liquid chlorine and stabilizer separately.

Adding salt can be done at any time as it will not really affect the other levels.

TA and CH are not quite as important to worry about initially assuming your fill water is not too out of whack especially since you have a vinyl pool.

ok guys I'm back. I did purchase the tf-100. Here are my fill water results.
ta-25o-- Is this even possible with good ph? if so how can I lower with out screwing up my ph?
ch-220
cya-0 of course
fc-0
ph-7.2.
Ok my plan is to leave ph alone start with some stabilizer and liquid chlorine. From pool calculator. Go ahead and put in some salt and let it dissolve.

Sounds like a good plan to start.

With the high TA and a SWG your pH is going to drift up a lot. Check out the article in pool school about how to lower TA by using acid and aeration. This can help to control to pH drift but you need to keepan eye on the pH to keep it under 7.8 until then.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

Check out the article in pool school about how to lower TA by using acid and aeration.
But I suggest not trying to adjust it yet. Your pool will be fine for a while.

1. Put in enough stabilizer to get to around 30. You will add more later to get around 60-80 but I would only go to 30 for now.

2. Put in enough chlorine to get to 3-4ppm.

3. Put in enough salt to get to the suggested level per the SWG.

4. The salt will dissolve rapidly. Start the SWG and allow it to take the place of your liquid chlorine additions.

5. Once your SWG is producing enough chlorine to maintain that 3-4ppm, I would bring the CYA up to 70ppm. You will need to cut the swg back because you won't need as much chlorine with your increased CYA.

6. If everything is stable, I would then suggest you check pH, keeping it in the 7's at all times and then i would start to work on reducing TA

Other may prefer a somewhat different sequence but this will help keep you on track and not trying to do too many things at once.

Thanks a bunch guys. I will get back tomorrow. I have been reading for several hours. Thank you very much for the clear direct instructions. Makes a lot of since. We have always struggled with ph and have never tested cya or ta.After several trips to pool store and spending a bunch of money. ttyl

Still filling. Any recommendations on a salt test kit? My swg says it will worn me of very low or high salt but it even admits that it is not very accurate. Im adding salt by there recommendations..03 per gallon . You think that will just keep me good for quit a while or should i get a good salt tester?

Well, if the SWG thinks it has enough salt, it will probably produce chlorine so then that may be all you need.

Probably a better way is either Aqua-Chek salt strips ($11) (pretty reliable but not terribly accurate.....+-400ppm) or the Taylor K-1776 Salt test ($23) twice as accurate and VERY long lasting.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.