Rising Salinity Level

May 29, 2011
I'm looking for advice on a problem I'm having with my AquaPure 1400 Chlorine Generator.

I'm wondering why, over time, my salinity level keeps RISING (now at 4,000). Over 4,000 and the system ceases to generate chlorine. About a year ago, I had the same problem, but a test of the water at my local pool store indicated that the calibration of my generator was off by about 700 mg/l. I recalibrated the generator (to 2,800) and all was well throughout the last season, although it did continue to "creep" up slowly. I run my pool year-round and am diligent about maintaining chlorine, pH, and total alkalinity levels. This morning, I took a sample to my local pool store and they confirmed the 4,000 reading. I am at a loss as to why the level continues to rise?

Does it have something to do with the fact that my "make-up" water is softened? It was designed this way because our raw water is extremely high in calcium and causes significant scaling. Also, I replaced a failed salinity/flow/temperature sensor a couple of months ago.

Any thoughts and/or ideas would be appreciated.

12,000 gal. in-ground pool
Built in 2009
Jandy CL460 cartridge filter
Paramount PCC2000 in-floor cleaning system
AquaPure 1400 Chlorine generator

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, topping off using water from a water softener will raise the salt level over time. Water softeners replace the CH in the water with salt, which goes into your pool. Evaporation removes only the water. All of the dissolved chemicals remain in the water. Then when you top off the pool you are adding more salt, so the overall salt level goes up,

The only ways to get the salt level down would be to do a massive amount of water replacement (removing water removes salt, and the replacement water wouldn't have as much salt as the water you are replacing it with), or getting a reverse osmosis treatment (not available in all areas) which removes salt, and everything else, from the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.