Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: POOL LINER RUINED????

1. Back To Top    #1

POOL LINER RUINED????

We purchased a brand new 27'x52 above ground pool to replace our old one.We live in Pa.The weather had been pretty nice and we thought bad weather was gone.Well approx. 3-4 days ago it was sunny and 75 so we decided to install the new pool.We got everything done and put the liner in but by that time it was getting late so we figured we would let the sun stretch the liner the following day because it was suppose to be nice.Well weather changed drastically to cloudy and rain and then snow.Lastnight we got hit with 5-6 inches.I am so worried that my new liner is ruined! I cant add water until i get the liner stretched but no sunshine!Will this ruin my liner? How long can it last without water in it?I heard that they will shrink.Please Help!!!!
    - Brandon.
    27,300 gallon in-ground Gunite pool
    1.95hp AC Smith pump
    150 gpm Hayward cartridge filter
    3 Volkswagens and a 73 Plymouth.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: POOL LINER RUINED????

If it's a new liner it'll be fine for several (read many) days. Take a shop vac and vacuum the liner to the walls once it warms a bit and that'll help get all the wrinkles out and make setting the liner much easier. That way if something doesn't set just right (i.e. you have a wrinkle) you can release the vacuum and reset and not have to drain any water.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/╝hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

P.S. Welcome to TFP
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/╝hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks, that makes me feel a little better.Do you know if sunny and 56 degree's would be warm enough to stretch the liner?It is actually calling for that tomorrow.
    - Brandon.
    1.95hp AC Smith pump

5. Back To Top    #5

I'd wait till it's a little warmer if it's another day or two. You certainly could try it, but 56┬║ is a little cold. While I know you're anxious to get it done it'd be better to wait a day or two and have it a little warmer.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm just afraid the longer i wait the more chance there is to damaging my liner.It has already been 4 days.
    - Brandon.
    1.95hp AC Smith pump

7. Back To Top    #7

Put the shop vac on it and if it stretches out easily then fill it with water.

Is it a beaded or overlap liner?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

It is a beaded liner.We tried the shop vac once and it didnt work too well.Too many wrinkles and it started bending in the wall.How long do you think too long to leave without water?
    - Brandon.
    1.95hp AC Smith pump

9. Back To Top    #9

A couple of weeks shouldn't hurt. I'd be tempted to call the liner mfg and ask about it if it's gonna be many more days.

If it's a beaded liner you should have all the top caps, rails and uprights on it so it shouldn't be bending in the walls.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Well my husband was trying the shop vac before he had everything connected.That was probably why.Well i hope the weather will hurry up and get nice so we can get this done and hopefully the liner will be okay.Thank you so much for all your help! I appreciate it.
    - Brandon.
    1.95hp AC Smith pump