New Guy! First Pool! O'MY!!!

Mar 31, 2008
Hey guys and gals! I just put up my first pool today. Well, I say my first....Unless you count the little ankle deep pools at wally world for $9.99. :)
Just wanted to know what you would suggest first.
I have already ordered one of the Taylor 2006 kits which will hopefully be here in a few day, but wanted to know if I should just wait for it to come in, or if there was anything that I could go ahead and do? It is a 15ft round, above ground vinyl. As far as I can calculate, it should be about 4800 gallons
Could I go ahead and safely add some Chlorine or anything?
I also plan on using the common household chemicals for keeping everything up to par.
Thanks!
Micah

Welcome to TFP...
Browse around and read the stickies at a minimum. If you just added fresh water without any chemicals at all you will need the following:

1. CYA (To get some stabilizer for preventing rapid Cl loss)
2. Baking Soda (To raise TA)
3. Bleach (Chlorine Source).

for exact quantities you can use the pool calculator or post a set of complete test numbers and someone here will do the math for you.

Again Welcome to the community and enjoy your pool..

I suggest adding 3 1/2 cups of 6% bleach each evening until you get some CYA (stabilizer) into the pool. Once you have added the CYA you will need a chlorine test kit to measure the current level before adding more.

bowyorang,

Welcome. I am continually entertained by usernames....that's a good one....I hope I never find out what it means!! :shock: :shock:

Once you get your test kit in, post up all your test results. Don't be discouraged if you have zero chlorine...that's fairly normal for start-ups.

Those test results will get you up and running and you'll get a ton of good advice...again, welcome.

Meanwhile, Jason's suggestion of chlorine is great advice.

Thanks for the advice so far!
So, until I get my test kit in (hopefully in the next few days) I can add 3.5 cups of 6% bleach every afternoon. Also I need to get some CYA. I think that I read somewhere that was about the only thing that I will probably have to get at the pool store. Is that correct? Any particular brand or anything?
When adding the bleach, do I just try to spread it around the pool? Does the filter need to be running at that time?

Thanks, and I know that I will be reading and learning ALOT from y'all for a while. Maybe sometime soon I will also be able to contribute as well.

duraleigh said:
bowyorang,

Welcome. I am continually entertained by usernames....that's a good one....I hope I never find out what it means!! :shock: :shock:
Thanks, I'll keep ya guessin for a while!

Welcome to TFP!

What is the actual depth of your water? (I've tried 3.5' and 3' for the depth and come up with something different than 4800 - my calculations are higher).

The CYA is usually found at pool stores, but some hardware stores and some 'big box' stores will carry it in their pool section - brand isn't important.

As for adding the bleach, if you want you can dribble it around the perimeter or just add slowly in front of a return - in either case you would want the pump to be running to help the chlorine mix more quickly with the pool water (this holds true of most chems you will have to add to the pool - however, CYA needs to be treated differently - when you've got your kit and are ready to add it, simply ask us and we'll tell you how to do the CYA) :-D

Again, welcome here! - this site has so many knowledgeable folks that just about any question you can come up with will be answered quickly and correctly (sometimes we 'trip' over each other (2 or 3 posts saying ~ the same thing being posted within a few minutes of each other) trying to give ~ the same good advice :lol:

waste said:
Welcome to TFP!

What is the actual depth of your water? (I've tried 3.5' and 3' for the depth and come up with something different than 4800 - my calculations are higher).

The depth is 42". I use the "pool calculator" to come up with the volume. I just did it again however and came up with 4600 instead of the 4800.
I will defiantly take your advice about asking how to administer the CYA.
Thanks!

I just ran the math again---

round pool volume(in gallons) - diameter * diameter * average depth * 5.9

I just redid the calcs and I was using the multiplier for rectangle pools ( :oops: - I've been layed off for 5 months, and in that short time I've forgotten how to properly do the gallonage - my bad! )

Anyway - I get 4626.25 for the gal.s -- you got it right !! :goodjob:

(Thanks for keeping an old pool dude honest :wink: )!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.