Hard Piping an Intex AGP

Jan 30, 2012
I want to hard pipe my intex 16 X 48. Thanks to all the input this forum has given me. I have installed my hayward skimmer and I would like to replace the intex return nozzle with the return that came with the skimmer. I would also like to hardpipe it. My question is when I connect PVC to the skimmer and the return via some male adapters how to I ensure I can take it apart should something go wrong. Once I clean and glue the PVC if anything should ever happen I basically need to replace all my PVC, or so I think. I am assuming this is not the case otherwise so many people would not have done this already so I am looking for how others have accomplished this task.

Thanks

I can give you a list of all the hardware we used if that'll help:
(3) 1 1/2 male adaptors (these screw into the pump, filter and backwash outlets) (.94 each)
(11) 1 1/2 90 degree elbows--this is dependent on if you bury your lines and the layout of your plumbing system (.83 each)
(1) 1 1/2 45 degree elbow (.80 each)
(2) 1 1/2 couplers (.56 each)
(2) 1-1/2" T-Handle PVC Single Union Ball Valve (9.34 each)
(2) 1-1/2" PVC Compression Coupling (7.26 each)
(3) 10 feet sections of 1-1/2" PVC Pipe (4.75 each)
(2) Cantex 1 1/2 Box Adapters (1.36 each)
(1) PVC Pipe Joint Compound (3.82 each)
(1) Roll of Plumber Tape (1.18 each)

This is everything we needed to move our pump 5 feet away from our pool and bury our pipes.

Hi RodneyMiller,

I am seriously contemplating installing a Hayward inwall skimmer into my Intex 15' x 48". Can you please share your experience in doing this? Are you using a wide mouth skimmer or one of the square ones? How far up did you mount it?

I would believe that the widemouth is a better choice, since it will allow for the water level to to be closer to the top, vs. the square one.

If you have any pics, that would be awesome!!!

Thanks!

Kurt

As soon as my setup is complete I will post some pictures. I did not go with the widemouth. I went with the square one and I mounted it as high as I possibly could. I cut right along where the seam meets the wall.

56a2dd65.jpg

df5a69b3.jpg

1a2525f5.jpg

907d0704.jpg

93c98685.jpg

54a1f661.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Interesting use of the compression fittings instead of the unions we typically see. Prices seems similar. If you leave a significant gap between the two pipe ends, I would have to think the they would add more turbulence to the flow than a union would and possibly a little more head loss ... thoughts?

Melt In The Sun said:
Do those compression fittings work OK? I don't think I've even seen those used on pool plumbing before.
I also use them on my pool to connect my pipes coming out of the ground to my return pipe and my skimmer pipe. It makes it easy to line up the two pipe sections when putting it all together when opening. My original thougt in using them was if my underground pipes moved due to frost, I had enough slop using these fittings to deal with it in the spring. I am not sure, but I do not think my pipes have moved over the two winters I have had them in the ground. They have caused me no trouble, and like bama said, do not restrict flow (not sure of the turbulence effect however).

Don't sweat the turbulence - unless you're cavitating at the pump. I can't imagine the effect on efficiency would be significant. On the return side you care about turbulence pre SWCG but there are plenty of installs on this site where there isn't the recommended straight section of pipe before and after the cell.

This thread kind of points out the over-thinking of projects - and trust me, I over-think plenty of my own. But I think (haha) that there's too much worry about maximizing plumbing efficiency etc. by worrying about a 90 vs a sweep etc. By far the biggest player is pipe diameter and run length. Mas985 really dives into the details and optimizations etc and it's amazing what he knows and can predict and calculate etc. But even he says all the time not to over-think the efficiency of 90s etc. Don't have a spaghetti mess sure.

Not trying to pick on the OP here - you're new here so please don't let me scare you away. Hey maybe you weren't even trying to optimize flow and I'm twice as silly for writing this rant. In closing I guess I'm saying keep it simple :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.