Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard Piping an Intex AGP

1. Back To Top    #1

Hard Piping an Intex AGP

I want to hard pipe my intex 16 X 48. Thanks to all the input this forum has given me. I have installed my hayward skimmer and I would like to replace the intex return nozzle with the return that came with the skimmer. I would also like to hardpipe it. My question is when I connect PVC to the skimmer and the return via some male adapters how to I ensure I can take it apart should something go wrong. Once I clean and glue the PVC if anything should ever happen I basically need to replace all my PVC, or so I think. I am assuming this is not the case otherwise so many people would not have done this already so I am looking for how others have accomplished this task.

Thanks
    32 1/2 X 19 free form gunite pool ~ oklahoma flagstone ~ 569 sq ft stamped concrete deck ~ Jandy E Pump ~ RB 320 Chlorine Sanitizer ~ UPP 15 gal Ozonator ~ 4 LED Savis lights ~ 3 ft sheer descent water feature ~ spa

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Hard Piping an Intex AGP

Welcome to the forum. How about using unions? http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... A&dur=1865
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I can give you a list of all the hardware we used if that'll help:
    (3) 1 1/2 male adaptors (these screw into the pump, filter and backwash outlets) (.94 each)
    (11) 1 1/2 90 degree elbows--this is dependent on if you bury your lines and the layout of your plumbing system (.83 each)
    (1) 1 1/2 45 degree elbow (.80 each)
    (2) 1 1/2 couplers (.56 each)
    (2) 1-1/2" T-Handle PVC Single Union Ball Valve (9.34 each)
    (2) 1-1/2" PVC Compression Coupling (7.26 each)
    (3) 10 feet sections of 1-1/2" PVC Pipe (4.75 each)
    (2) Cantex 1 1/2 Box Adapters (1.36 each)
    (1) PVC Pipe Joint Compound (3.82 each)
    (1) Roll of Plumber Tape (1.18 each)

This is everything we needed to move our pump 5 feet away from our pool and bury our pipes.
    18'x48" AG
    Pentair 1 1/2 HP Dynamo Pump
    Sand Dollar Sand Filter w/ Zeobrite
    Lil Shark Vacuum System
    Hard Plumbed

4. Back To Top    #4

All of that is available at Lowe's.
    18'x48" AG
    Lil Shark Vacuum System
    Hard Plumbed

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi RodneyMiller,

I am seriously contemplating installing a Hayward inwall skimmer into my Intex 15' x 48". Can you please share your experience in doing this? Are you using a wide mouth skimmer or one of the square ones? How far up did you mount it?

I would believe that the widemouth is a better choice, since it will allow for the water level to to be closer to the top, vs. the square one.

If you have any pics, that would be awesome!!!

Thanks!

Kurt
    14'x28' 14k Gallon, Pebble Tec Finish, Sta-Rite IntelliPro VS-3050, Sta-Rite PXC150 Cartridge Filter, Intellibrite 5g Light

6. Back To Top    #6

As soon as my setup is complete I will post some pictures. I did not go with the widemouth. I went with the square one and I mounted it as high as I possibly could. I cut right along where the seam meets the wall.
    32 1/2 X 19 free form gunite pool ~ oklahoma flagstone ~ 569 sq ft stamped concrete deck ~ Jandy E Pump ~ RB 320 Chlorine Sanitizer ~ UPP 15 gal Ozonator ~ 4 LED Savis lights ~ 3 ft sheer descent water feature ~ spa

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you mpacheco72 the list definitely helps. I am assuming the single union ball valves allow you to disconnect in case it's necessary? Do you have any pics of your setup?

8. Back To Top    #8

18'x48" AG
    Lil Shark Vacuum System
    Hard Plumbed

9. Back To Top    #9

Hope that helps. Some of the pics are a little crooked but overall you get the idea.
    18'x48" AG
    Lil Shark Vacuum System
    Hard Plumbed

10. Back To Top    #10

Are those L's (90 degree fittings) true PVC Schedule 40? They look more like Drain/Wast/Vent fittings are are not designed to be under pressure...I can't tell if the 45s are the same or not.
    15,600 Gallon, 16' x 32' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Pentair VS 3050 pump, Quad DE 60 filter and SunTouch controller
    8 gallon Liquidator, Aquatherm EcoSun Solar Panels, 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner

11. Back To Top    #11

I agree with Carl. Those fittings do not look like pressure rated schedule 40 pvc fittings.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

You're right. My bil, the plumber, said they were wrong this evening.
    18'x48" AG
    Lil Shark Vacuum System
    Hard Plumbed

13. Back To Top    #13

Do those compression fittings work OK? I don't think I've even seen those used on pool plumbing before.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

14. Back To Top    #14

The compression fittings are awesome.
    18'x48" AG
    Lil Shark Vacuum System
    Hard Plumbed

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by mpacheco72
    The compression fittings are awesome.
    I agree with that! I use them all the time on water line repairs. Quick, easy and they apply under water.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

16. Back To Top    #16

Interesting use of the compression fittings instead of the unions we typically see. Prices seems similar. If you leave a significant gap between the two pipe ends, I would have to think the they would add more turbulence to the flow than a union would and possibly a little more head loss ... thoughts?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

17. Back To Top    #17

I'd think they'd be comparable to a union, maybe even a little less dur to the fact that you'll have reamed ends on the pipe but there's a double partition in the union.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    Do those compression fittings work OK? I don't think I've even seen those used on pool plumbing before.
    I also use them on my pool to connect my pipes coming out of the ground to my return pipe and my skimmer pipe. It makes it easy to line up the two pipe sections when putting it all together when opening. My original thougt in using them was if my underground pipes moved due to frost, I had enough slop using these fittings to deal with it in the spring. I am not sure, but I do not think my pipes have moved over the two winters I have had them in the ground. They have caused me no trouble, and like bama said, do not restrict flow (not sure of the turbulence effect however).
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

19. Back To Top    #19

Don't sweat the turbulence - unless you're cavitating at the pump. I can't imagine the effect on efficiency would be significant. On the return side you care about turbulence pre SWCG but there are plenty of installs on this site where there isn't the recommended straight section of pipe before and after the cell.

This thread kind of points out the over-thinking of projects - and trust me, I over-think plenty of my own. But I think (haha) that there's too much worry about maximizing plumbing efficiency etc. by worrying about a 90 vs a sweep etc. By far the biggest player is pipe diameter and run length. Mas985 really dives into the details and optimizations etc and it's amazing what he knows and can predict and calculate etc. But even he says all the time not to over-think the efficiency of 90s etc. Don't have a spaghetti mess sure.

Not trying to pick on the OP here - you're new here so please don't let me scare you away. Hey maybe you weren't even trying to optimize flow and I'm twice as silly for writing this rant. In closing I guess I'm saying keep it simple
    15,600 Gallon, 16' x 32' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Pentair VS 3050 pump, Quad DE 60 filter and SunTouch controller
    8 gallon Liquidator, Aquatherm EcoSun Solar Panels, 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner

20. Back To Top    #20

We are wanting to do the same for our Morgan AGP....we have always had the pump and filter fairly close to the pool wall....does that matter or should we put it further away?? Also, did you guys determine those were the right fittings for the water flow?? Thanks!!
    New 22' round, 52" deep Coleman (Bestway) AG/10,500 gal/16" Intex sand filter with over the side skimmer/Levelland TX (Lubbock area)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast